[SOLVED] HDD to M.2 NVMe SSD

Rathnhake

Reputable
Jan 8, 2020
Hello everyone, I just got a Crucial p5 plus 1TB for design software related AND gaming. Now my question is:
in terms of drive longevity, is it best to keep the OS separated on its own SSD?
If so, can I keep my OS on my current drive (HDD) until I buy another drive just for it whilst using the Crucial SSD for those applications mentioned above without the need to reinstall anything OS-related?
Lastly, is there any disadvantage to having the OS on a different drive? If not, then what speeds should I consider when buying an SSD for the OS?

That'll be all, thanks to everyone for helping out !

Solution
in terms of drive longevity, is it best to keep the OS separated on its own SSD?
Longevity concerns about SSDs are overblown. I have 3 SSDs that have about 20TB written each over the course of a few years. Two of them are reporting 100% health, the other one is reporting 96%. I'm pretty sure I'll be in a retirement home before these things wear out.

If so, can I keep my OS on my current drive (HDD) until I buy another drive just for it whilst using the Crucial SSD for those applications mentioned above without the need to reinstall anything OS-related?
If you really want to, you can, but to really enjoy the benefits of an SSD, you should either clone or reinstall the OS onto the SSD and throw your commonly used...

Lutfij

Titan
I have my OS, launchers and app's on a small SSD, like 250GB, then have a larger SSD for my games, then an HDD for large files/media. You should be fine to work off the HDD but honestly the purchase of your SSD seems moot in this regard seeing how an SSD does save you a lot of time booting to OS and shutting things down, not to mention how much more faster things end up being when working off of an SSD.

Reactions: Rathnhake
Longevity concerns about SSDs are overblown. I have 3 SSDs that have about 20TB written each over the course of a few years. Two of them are reporting 100% health, the other one is reporting 96%. I'm pretty sure I'll be in a retirement home before these things wear out.

If you really want to, you can, but to really enjoy the benefits of an SSD, you should either clone or reinstall the OS onto the SSD and throw your commonly used applications on there.

Lastly, is there any disadvantage to having the OS on a different drive? If not, then what speeds should I consider when buying an SSD for the OS?
No. People used to do this all the time with hard drives because the OS drive doesn't have to share usage with the other things the user has stored.

Speed also doesn't really matter. Any differences past SATA SSD speeds are only measurable, most people can't tell if they're running on one or the other.

Reactions: Rathnhake
Solution

Rathnhake

Reputable
Jan 8, 2020

If you really want to, you can, but to really enjoy the benefits of an SSD, you should either clone or reinstall the OS onto the SSD and throw your commonly used applications on there.

No. People used to do this all the time with hard drives because the OS drive doesn't have to share usage with the other things the user has stored.

Speed also doesn't really matter. Any differences past SATA SSD speeds are only measurable, most people can't tell if they're running on one or the other.
Thanks a lot for this, that did it for me ;)