[SOLVED] HDD to SDD

Jan 27, 2019
Hi all!

I have recently cloned my HDD onto a new SSD. I've read couple of posts here re: how to change the boot options but have had no luck.

I am able to boot from the new SSD if i do the following - disable secure boot and unplug my old HDD. These I found while searching the internet.

However, I have a few issues.

1. I am not able to change my boot option nor select anything like a HDD (not even my old HDD) - under boot option, I can either select Windows boot manager, IPv4 or IPv6 but there is no mention of which drive to use.

2. I cannot re-enable secure boot and reconnect my old HDD. It will revert back to booting from the old HDD.

3. I can reconnect my old HDD with secure boot disabled.

4. When i go back into disk management, the SSD still has no "boot" under it's partition unlike the HDD which is clearly labelled boot.

5. Now my initial loading screen after the dell logo is the RAID configuration utility, something that happened only after i disabled secure boot.

Hence, my questions are

1. How do I change the SSD to be bootable?

2. How to I get rid of the RAID utility screen?

3. Can I now safely format my HDD to become a storage drive instead?

Set up - Dell XPS 8910 - the only thing I've added on so far is a 4TB storage HDD.
BIOS utility is - Aptio Bios Utility.

Thanks!

Regards
Matt

Edit - I just checked my SSD on diskmgmt after rebooting twice adn now it has (Boot) added to it's partition.

Can I disable secure boot and replug my old HDD now or should I format my HDD first?

Solution
After your 'edit'...does the system boot up with only the SSD connected?
Be 100% sure, because there's no going back once you wipe the old HDD.
Jan 27, 2019

Yes it does. It boots up with only the SSD connected (and of course my other old HDD which has no OS whatsoever on it) but I haven't done the rest - i.e. reset back to secure boot. I

TRENDING THREADS