[SOLVED] HDD to SSD cloning questions - Using both HDD and SSD drives

SICC

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012
Hi all, as the title states I have some questions about cloning my HDD to my SSD.

I've never had/used an SSD before and after watching many tutorials on youtube I'm still a little confused how this all works. For the most part I under that, i'm essentially just copying and pasting everything from my HDD to my SSD.

However, I want to my SSD just for my OS(Windows 10) and a few select games such as; Red Dead Redemption 2, Star Citizen, War Thunder just to name a few. Everything else, I want on my HDD.

So my question is, am I able to play games from my HDD while using my SSD, and how exactly does that work? I know when I do the cloning it will copy everything. However, again, I only want to use my SSD for my OS and specific games and programs like stated above.

I'm sure that might be a dumb question but I cannot find any concrete answers.

My HDD is a 1TB Western Digital(WDC WD10EZRX-00D8PB0) - The SSD I got is a Crucial 1TB 2.5 inch BV500

Another question is, would I just be better off using the SSD only instead of trying to use both drives? Atm my HDD only has 36% capacity left and I've read before that you don't exactly want to fill up your SSD so that is where i'm trying to figure out how to use both so I dont have a bunch of stuff on the SSD.

Solution
For the clone operation

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so...

USAFRet

Titan
First off, you cannot "clone" only the OS and a few select games"
Can't happen...there is no function or application that allows you to pick and choose like that.

Everything on the C partition gets included in the clone.

How much actual space is consumed on the HDD? If under 800GB, you clone the whole thing over.

Given a 1TB HDD and a 1TB SSD, you clone everything to the SSD, wipe the HDD of ALL partitions and data, then move some things back over to the HDD.

SICC

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012
First off, you cannot "clone" only the OS and a few select games"
Can't happen...there is no function or application that allows you to pick and choose like that.

Everything on the C partition gets included in the clone.

How much actual space is consumed on the HDD? If under 800GB, you clone the whole thing over.

Given a 1TB HDD and a 1TB SSD, you clone everything to the SSD, wipe the HDD of ALL partitions and data, then move some things back over to the HDD.

Hello, thank you for the reply.

Yes, I know I need to copy everything over, apologies if I wasn't clear. At the moment, I have 335.22 GB free space out of the 930.96 GB capacity so it is under 800 GB.

After I wipe the HDD and move stuff over, how does playing a game that is on my HDD work? Do I just make a shortcut or something? Or will I still just have icons on my desktop like normal, if that makes sense. I've never used more than one drive so this is all new to me.

USAFRet

Titan
For the clone operation

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Reactions: SICC
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
For Steam games, the below. Other game launchers have similar functions, but I do not know the particulars.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

jakedude182

Commendable
Jan 9, 2020
Rite its a bit tricky to read but i think I know what you mean:

Where you say 'So my question is, am I able to play games from my HDD while using my SSD, '

If there are already games installed onto your HDD (aka mechanical WD hard drive) then they are installed onto the OS partition on that drive. If you haven't formatted this drive and its not a computer build which you built. Then it is likely that it is all one one single partition?

If the games are installed for that OS which you are cloning onto a fresh SSD. Then the games will be linked to the registry keys and file associations with that OS partition. And the drive letters assigned will not be the same as you are cloning it onto a new hard drive. Most likely you can't keep C as the new partition which you clone onto the SSD,

But lets say you could... It depends on how picky the game is, and how the game was developed. If it is something like counter strike source, yes it may well work. If it is league of legends then probably not.

Some games which you had originally installed on the HDD mechanical will be missing their icons on the desktop when you boot on the new ssd after cloning the windows partition to there.. Try changing the address of these icons to the drive letter relevant to the games installation folder and try loading the game for what its worth..;

Otherwise you will need to effectively delete the game folder, and install it again with the setup so that windows knows where to referenec and setup the registry right for the games.

If you had steam installed on the other mechanical drive after copying your os to new ssd, then it may not even run. (i have no idea about steam) the post above looks useful for that!

Please open start, type in diskmgmt.msc maximise the window and post a screenshot of your config here.

Last edited:

SICC

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012
Rite its a bit tricky to read but i think I know what you mean:

Where you say 'So my question is, am I able to play games from my HDD while using my SSD, '

If there are already games installed onto your HDD (aka mechanical WD hard drive) then they are installed onto the OS partition on that drive. If you haven't formatted this drive and its not a computer build which you built. Then it is likely that it is all one one single partition?

If the games are installed for that OS which you are cloning onto a fresh SSD. Then the games will be linked to the registry keys and file associations with that OS partition. And the drive letters assigned will not be the same as you are cloning it onto a new hard drive. Most likely you can't keep C as the new partition which you clone onto the SSD,

But lets say you could... It depends on how picky the game is, and how the game was developed. If it is something like counter strike source, yes it may well work. If it is league of legends then probably not.

Some games which you had originally installed on the HDD mechanical will be missing their icons on the desktop when you boot on the new ssd after cloning the windows partition to there.. Try changing the address of these icons to the drive letter relevant to the games installation folder and try loading the game for what its worth..;

Otherwise you will need to effectively delete the game folder, and install it again with the setup so that windows knows where to referenec and setup the registry right for the games.

If you had steam installed on the other mechanical drive after copying your os to new ssd, then it may not even run.

Please open start, type in diskmgmt.msc maximise the window and post a screenshot of your config here.

https://gyazo.com/244d142b590b00d99ffca82fbd25d822

So essentially what im understanding I would be better off just uninstalling all my games before the clone instead of trying to reroute them? Though with steam as posted by USAFRet. i can just move some games over to the HDD and keep the ones I want on the SSD right?(Oops just saw your edit, i'll have to try and find out then I suppose when i do the cloning

For Steam games, the below. Other game launchers have similar functions, but I do not know the particulars.

Awesome! Thank you!, I will be trying to install the ssd tomorrow, hopefully all goes well

jakedude182

Commendable
Jan 9, 2020
looking at your picture, do a complete drive clone and everything will be as it was as its all on the same partition. Assuming it retains the same drive letter, which is C, I see no reason why it wouldn't

jakedude182

Commendable
Jan 9, 2020
test first with the HDD mechanical disconnected. If all is well, format that and you can use the space to install any additional games when you boot from your new SSD OS which you cloned onto.

SICC

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012
Okay cool, thanks! And I am ready USFA haha, anytime I upgrade my PC something goes wonky so im prepared!

Thanks again for the help, i'll report back with how things go when i attempt this procedure.

Reactions: jakedude182