[SOLVED] HDD to SSD Cloning (SSD wont boot)

Dante_The_Rogue

Prominent
Apr 18, 2020
Hello!

I wanted to upgrade from hdd to ssd in order to speed up my laptop. I bought the samsung 870 qvo 1tb ssd and wanted to clone the os from the hdd into it. I tried to use samsungs own data migration program, but it wouldnt even let me start the cloning process, stating that an error has occured. So i tried acronis and my laptop refused to boot from the ssd after the cloning was done. So then i tried macrium reflect 7 and everything went smoothly and the cloning was done in 5 hours. So i shut down my laptop and removed the hdd which had the os in it and replaced the slot with the ssd which should have the cloned os in it. But when i boot it while having "csm support" and "Launch PXE OpROM policy" enabled and also "secure boot control" disabled, it gives me this error (I've attached a picture of it) oh and yes the ssd is first in the boot order. Has anyone else encountered a problem like this?
16135806527211181773536317139165.jpg.be3b53215ca5e133bf672caa03ef910e.jpg

Laptop: asus fx553vd

Solution
When i try to boot the ssd from the bios, it's not there. It only shows the old ssd as a bootable windows. And yes i did remember to execute command bcdboot f:\windows
You have to boot from old SSD. Bootloader is on old ssd. You'll have additional boot option, when booting. bcdboot command made that option available.

Like here:

218712d1545908474t-reinstalled-windows-now-seems-have-2-windows-volumes-download.jpg

But when i enable csm support the ssd shows up and i can boot from it. And when i do it says "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". So it doesnt recognize it without the...

Dante_The_Rogue

Prominent
Apr 18, 2020
I also noticed something strange in disk management when i booted with the hdd again. Under DATA (C:) which has the os in it, it says "Healthy (boot, page File, Crash Dump, Basic Data Partition) but under the ssd which is named "os ssd (F:)" it says "Healthy (Basic Data Partition).
16135830992504299988297278968904.jpg.8c04fde64822e937961574aba0a40259.jpg

Bootloader is located on 120GB drive. That's SSD already.
So windows is installed on HDD and not on already existing SSD. Why exactly?

You cloned contents of HDD (Disk 1) to SSD (Disk 2). Right?
But you didn't update bootloader on 120GB drive.

Execute following command from elevated command prompt:
bcdboot F:\windows
Then shutdown, disconnect HDD and boot into windows.
Note - Old HDD has to be physically disconnected for first boot from cloned drive. This is important. Or you'll have to redo cloning.
After successful boot you can reconnect HDD.

Dante_The_Rogue

Prominent
Apr 18, 2020
I followed your instructions and unfortunately it gave me the same error. When i've enabled "Launch PXE OpROM policy" it gives me the same error but when i disable it says "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selectrd boot device and press a key"

Dante_The_Rogue

Prominent
Apr 18, 2020
But because it gave me that error i connected the old hdd back and booted from it again and when i did that did i miss the chance to do what you instructed me to do? So should i redo the cloning and try again? Because i cant see the reason for it since the cloning was happening while i could freely use windows(i didnt though).

Why are you enabling Launch PXE OpROM policy?
That is meant for booting from lan. Disable it.

Windows is installed in UEFI mode. There is no need to enable CSM.
Have it disabled.

Also keep secure boot disabled. Less problems that way.

Windows boot manager is UEFI bootloader on 120GB ssd. That is only boot option that will work.
Also - you can not disconnect old SSD. Bootloader is located on it. Without bootloader system is unbootable.

If you haven't yet booted from OS on new SSD, then there is no need to reclone (yet).

Did you run bcdboot command as suggested above?
Can you show command output of that command?
bcdboot F:\windows

Dante_The_Rogue

Prominent
Apr 18, 2020
Hmm i see. Well unfortunately i did boot from the new ssd and did as instructed and ran the command and when it didnt boot i just put back the old hdd. So now i really do have to reclone it huh? Also sure i can run the command again if you want to see the output of the command.

Dante_The_Rogue

Prominent
Apr 18, 2020
But when i enable csm support the ssd shows up and i can boot from it. And when i do it says "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". So it doesnt recognize it without the csm support enabled and when it is enabled it doesnt boot.

Dante_The_Rogue

Prominent
Apr 18, 2020
Im thinking maybe the cloning software wasn't good. I used macrium reflect 7. Can you recommend any reliable ones? I've tried acronis and samsungs data migration, and neither of them have worked.

When i try to boot the ssd from the bios, it's not there. It only shows the old ssd as a bootable windows. And yes i did remember to execute command bcdboot f:\windows
You have to boot from old SSD. Bootloader is on old ssd. You'll have additional boot option, when booting. bcdboot command made that option available.

Like here:

218712d1545908474t-reinstalled-windows-now-seems-have-2-windows-volumes-download.jpg

But when i enable csm support the ssd shows up and i can boot from it. And when i do it says "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". So it doesnt recognize it without the csm support enabled and when it is enabled it doesnt boot.
Do not enable CSM. That is meant for booting into legacy mode. Windows on your pc is installed in UEFI mode. Legacy mode will not work.

Last edited:
Solution