[SOLVED] HDD to SSD space issue

Mar 31, 2020
I currently have a 1.5tb HDD, i bought a 500gb samsung evo 860 evo SSD for my OS to improve boot times. The issue im having is on the samsung and aomei partition software its saying i require 744.3gb of space? I'm running windows 10 and i was sure an OS is around 75gb or required 200gb at a push. Can anyone explain?

Solution
Been 5 years since i done anything with this tell me if im wrong.
So i need to back up the files i want to keep, get my OS onto a formatted external HDD and install it onto the SDD on boot?
You will want to backup the files that you want to save. Find your Product Key using this tool http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html and write it down. Download the Media Creation tool from MS https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and create a bootable USB from it. Boot your computer to the USB stick and use the Custom Install to install Windows on the the SSD. Since everything should be backed up, you can delete the partitions from the HDD all at the same time, just be sure to choose the...

USAFRet

Titan
You have approx 744GB consumed on your C drive.
Going into a 500GB drive, that needs to be below 400GB for a clone operation.

The only things you can leave off are things like Doc/Music/Video. And only in the Samsung Data Migration tool.
However, I've found that leaving those off can have other weird consequences, mostly regarding location.

Mar 31, 2020
I was under the impression i could use my HDD as storage for files and the SDD for booting of the system and applications? I know for certain i have more than 32gb of audio/video files so why is it only picking up that amount? confused.com

USAFRet

Titan
I was under the impression i could use my HDD as storage for files and the SDD for booting of the system and applications? I know for certain i have more than 32gb of audio/video files so why is it only picking up that amount? confused.com
You'd need to leave off ~350GB of data for this clone operation.
744GB down to under 400GB.

You can use the HDD for 'storage', but in the clone operation, there is far more than just 'Windows' that gets moved.

Install and run either WinDirStat, or WizTree.

Run as Administrator, selecting only the drive in question. The C drive.
Post a screencap here.

We can do a little analysis on what is in there.

Reactions: cgch732
You can, but right now you only have 1 drive and everything is the C drive. Without having at least 744GB free space on the SSD you will not be able to clone to the SSD.

Reactions: cgch732
Mar 31, 2020
So i just need to free up the space for the cloning process then i can install everything again? im happy to delete steam and all its files i built this as a gaming pc when i was 14, 22 now and use it for music.

USAFRet

Titan
So i just need to free up the space for the cloning process then i can install everything again? im happy to delete steam and all its files i built this as a gaming pc when i was 14, 22 now and use it for music.
Getting that data space down to 400GB leaves basically zero free space to anything more on that 500GB drive. It starts out as being "full".

Given that longevity of the install and amount of data that needs to be shuffled, I'd suggest just a clean install on the new drive rather than a clone.

Start fresh on the new drive.

Mar 31, 2020
Getting that data space down to 400GB leaves basically zero free space to anything more on that 500GB drive. It starts out as being "full".

Given that longevity of the install and amount of data that needs to be shuffled, I'd suggest just a clean install on the new drive rather than a clone.

Start fresh on the new drive.

So i need to back up the files i want to keep, get my OS onto a formatted external HDD and install it onto the SDD on boot?

You will want to backup the files that you want to save. Find your Product Key using this tool http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html and write it down. Download the Media Creation tool from MS https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and create a bootable USB from it. Boot your computer to the USB stick and use the Custom Install to install Windows on the the SSD. Since everything should be backed up, you can delete the partitions from the HDD all at the same time, just be sure to choose the SSD for install.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Not a "formatted external HDD", but rather an 8GB flash drive, using the MediaCreation tool.

Read through this a time or two: