Question HDD to SSD without caddy. Possible ?

Jun 28, 2019
Hello,
I need some help, please! :)
I am trying to clone my single HDD 750GB to an SSD 500GB.
My laptop is an ASUS X750JB (https://www.asus.com/Laptops/X750JB/specifications/ ) + Windows 8.1 Pro
Apparently my laptop has 2 ports for HDD. Found this on Asus site : "Dual HDD Support(Optional) "+ on another forum someone discovered the 2nd slot under the motherboard.
I don't want to replace the optical drive + buy a SSD caddy if I can use this 2nd slot.
I intend to keep both SSD and HDD on laptop (OS on SSD, rest of files on HDD).
My questions:
Can I clone the HDD to the SSD from the 2nd slot using a migration program? Then I could just change on the BIOS that Windows boots from SSD ?
Having an HDD and SSD (both with os) on laptop could be a problem ? I would like to keep it as backup for the files on the ssd.
If this doesn't work can I use the SSD caddy to clone the HDD or do i need a SATA to USB adapter to do it ?
In this last case I would use the optical drive to keep the 750gb hdd and put the SSD where the HDD was before.
Thank you for your help!

No, should not be a problem, due ti higher prices of large SSD, most people including me do that. SSD for OS and programs and HDD for storage. After you transfer/clone system to SSD you'd be wise to delete all the partitions on HDD and format it so you gain some more otherwise wasted space.

Reactions: lebadd
Jun 28, 2019
No, should not be a problem, due ti higher prices of large SSD, most people including me do that. SSD for OS and programs and HDD for storage. After you transfer/clone system to SSD you'd be wise to delete all the partitions on HDD and format it so you gain some more otherwise wasted space.
Hello Mike,
I really need your help :) please (OR anyone who has an advice of course! )
I had so many problems with the upgrade HDD + SSD and 4gb RAM to 8GB RAM.
My laptop didn't appreciate at all this upgrade.
After I installed the ssd (hdd not removed) + removed old 4GB RAM DDR3L and added 8GB RAM DDR3L ... my computer didn't boot at all.
Power light on, when clicked the power button one little green bulb light went on and nothing happened.
I have tried multiple things but nothing worked :
new ram in 1st slot and 2nd slot + HDD+SSD,
new ram in 1st slot and 2nd slot + HDD,
old ram in 1st slot and 2nd slot + HDD+SSD,
old ram in 1st slot + HDD my initial settings didn't boot either ! Crazy !

My bios version is 208 and is the newest bios version.
I removed CMOS battery + tried my initial settings (hdd + old ram) and laptop worked normally.

Now I am at point blank.

What happend ?
Did I go too fast ? Should I install RAM 1st ? or maybe SSD ?
Should I clone SSD with a SATA to USB adapter rather than using my 2nd laptop slot to copy from HDD ?
Can the problem be RAM ?
OLD ram : Samsung 4GB (1 x 4GB) 1Rx8 DDR3L PC3-12800-11-12-B4, 1600MHz, 204 PIN SODIMM
New RAM : KINGSTON KVR16LS11/8 (1x 8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3L PC3L-12800 - 11-13-D1 CL11 204-Pin SODIMM

Thank you for your help !

P.S. - I don't know if this its worth mentioning but I also cleaned the FAN + added thermal paste (reduced temperature from 70° to 40°) and on my 1st boot my FAN wasn't completely plugged in his place). So technically I tried booting with no FAN.

Doesn't really matter in which order you install them, problems are not related. RAM is separate problem, are you sure laptop supports so large capacity RAM ? They are not as flexible as desktops. Does it start at all or nothing happens when you push the button ? Recheck all cables, there's tons of thin wires and ribbon cables that are easy to pull out inadvertently. See if you can get shop/repair manual for it.

Reactions: lebadd
Jun 28, 2019
Doesn't really matter in which order you install them, problems are not related. RAM is separate problem, are you sure laptop supports so large capacity RAM ? They are not as flexible as desktops. Does it start at all or nothing happens when you push the button ? Recheck all cables, there's tons of thin wires and ribbon cables that are easy to pull out inadvertently. See if you can get shop/repair manual for it.
The RAM was the problem it was slightly different than what I ordered was kingston KVR16LS11/8 and the guy wrongly sent me KVR16LSE11/8 which is ECC and not compatible with my laptop.
Now I am trying to find the time to order a new RAM.
Thank you for your advice.

TRENDING THREADS