HDD Tock Sound, Bad Performance.

JunLong97

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wZEqJQqR6Y"][/video]

Hello, my hard drive keeps making this tock sound when booting or shutting down. I've tried changing the sata cable, but the sound is still there and I've tried using the hdd with an enclosure but there wasn't any problem. Does anyone know what cause this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wZEqJQqR6Y

Solution

Who is the manufacturer, I would contact them.
Hey there, JunLong97.

Usually similar sound could be made by the arm moving out of its parking spot when the drive spins up. Backup your important data just to be on the safe side and start with the troubleshooting. Give it a go with a different computer as well to see if the same thing happens. Download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run the tests to see if anything unusual pops-up. Try a different SATA-power connector if possible.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

JunLong97

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

Thanks for replying. My data is backed up, there wasn't any problem with the short and extended test and the health on HDD Sentinel is 100%. I'm still searching for a different SATA-power connector or going to change the PSU.

JunLong97

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

Thanks for the reply. Backed up and the warranty is still available.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Excellent, strange that it didn't show any errors but slow performance and clicking noises generally indicate impending failure. Being that the drive is mechanical there is not much if anything you can do from the outside. If its under warranty, may as well get it replaced.

JunLong97

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

The store won't let me. They said "We can't fix something that isn't there." the hdd warranty expire in november.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Who is the manufacturer, I would contact them.

Solution

JunLong97

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

Toshiba

Sorry for the late response. Recently I had a case with a different manufacturer where the HDDs made unusual clicking and screeching noises, but again showed no problems when tested. However, the user contacted the manufacturer's customer support and he was able to get them replaced. So what I'm saying is that perhaps @Rogue Leader has a point there and the best course of action would be to get in touch with the HDD manufacturer's CS team.

Please keep us posted.

JunLong97

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

Changed the sata power connector and the problem is gone, but the question is will this impact the hdd life. They asked me to continue to use it until october to see if there was any problem if there is they'll rma it.
P.S I accidentally clicked solved in my email.

It is weird indeed. However it seems like we both overlooked the power cable option. If it was a faulty power cable it might have had some weird power output which could've led to underpowering the drive and thus causing operational issue like that. Hopefully everything turns out OK so that you don't have to go through the RMA process, but it's good to hear that you have it as an option.

Cheers!