HDD transfer speeds extremely slow (0.6 MB/s average)

Dawikk

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
I have upgraded my entire pc but took my old hard drive and put it in my new pc. I have noticed that both the cpu and ram aren't overloaded at all but my system runs very slow. Disk usage is almost always at 100% and no specific programs are using a lot of read/write. HD Tune Pro gives me an access time of 186 ms and transfer rates between 0.1 MB/s and 1.8 MB/s with an average of 0.6 MB/s. The drive isnt partitioned or fragmented in any way and out of the 1TB only 450 GB is used. Is the hard drive dying?

Solution
Hi there Dawikk,

It would be nice to just back up the data stored on the drive, until you sort this out.

What does the health tab of the tool show? Could you provide a screenshot of the SMART report? Look for pending/reallocated and uncorrectable sectors.
Also, there's a chance that the cables are faulty or not properly seated. You can use different SATA and power cables and attach the drive to another SATA port.

It may be a good idea to update your MOBO's drivers.
What is your OS?

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)
Hi there Dawikk,

It would be nice to just back up the data stored on the drive, until you sort this out.

What does the health tab of the tool show? Could you provide a screenshot of the SMART report? Look for pending/reallocated and uncorrectable sectors.
Also, there's a chance that the cables are faulty or not properly seated. You can use different SATA and power cables and attach the drive to another SATA port.

It may be a good idea to update your MOBO's drivers.
What is your OS?

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution