Question HDD turning off/spin down on reboot system

Apr 21, 2019
Hello friends!

I'm using a new set of hardware composed of motherboard Gigabyte B360M Aorus, processor Intel i3 8100, video card RX560 and 8gb ram with Windows 10. Whenever i reboot the system, i notice that the hard drive (normal sata 3.5") apparently shuts off/spin down and turns on for reboot, but is starting the system normally . This was not the case in my old set of hardware. Why does this happen and how do I solve it?

What is the model of the HDD?

What profile do you have set in your control panel power options? What was it set to previously?

Were you running Windows 10 then or an older OS?

Did you do a CLEAN install (Deleting ALL partitions on the operating system drive and then clean installing to the unpartitioned space, allowing Windows to create and format any required partitions?) or are you using the same OS installation from the older hardware?

Reactions: FerdGuill
Apr 21, 2019
The HDD in an old Samsung 120ij.

In the power options the profile is "high performance" and in the advanced options i deactivated sleep, hibernation and hard disk shutdown functions. I've always used this power profile in all previous versions of Windows.

Previously I used Windows 7

I did a clean and fresh installation of the system. Letting Windows create and choose partitions.

The "problem" happens only i reboot the system. But there is no boot errors. I just do not like my HDD turning it off and on in a simple system reboot.

Unless it is a power saving model like the enterprise editions, or a model specifically intended for video surveillance where it only comes on when triggered, it shouldn't do that regardless of the OS version or power profile, except when it is an external drive. I suspect there might be an issue with the drive itself.

Have you run any test utilities on the drive like Seatools for Windows or WD Lifeguard tools? I would do that. Run the short DST (Quick test) and Long generic (Full test). If there are errors in either test, replace the drive immediately.

Before doing that though, it would be prudent to try unplugging and then re-connecting both ends of the SATA data cable and also the SATA power cable to the drive. It would not be a bad idea to try a different SATA data cable either.

What is the EXACT model of your power supply?

So, that's a decent enough PSU model, and unless it's fairly old or you're just unlucky, it's doubtful that has any relevance. Anything is possible, but I'd do the testing on the drive to verify whether the health is good or not before trying to guess at what might be a simple setting but could easily be a sign of hardware failure coming.