HDD unallocated after windows 10 anniversary update

Rehv

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
Hi, today I've installed the anniversary update for w10 (1607), and suddenly I've lost access to one of my HDDs (1TB drive, nothing partitioned). Checking the disk management it shows as unallocated space, and under properties->events, shows a "device migration" message. I've googled this and found some issues in the past, but no "concrete" solution.

Can someone guide me to a foolproof way of doing this without losing the data in the HDD? Thanks!

baskon1

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
As mentioned before use minitool partition wizard free. There is no need to rollback, you will just waste more time..
Download and Install Minitool Partition Wizard, and then run it.
Go to Partition Recovery wizard, select the drive that disappeared, and press next. In the end Press apply , and the drive will appear. It took about 1 minute in my system + 1 minute for the download and installation of the program..
Microsoft should fix this soon though!

slightlyknowledgable

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
I can't express my gratitude enough! I've spent hours trying to get my drive to show up again including using programs like EaseUS which takes forever to no avail but the mini tool partition program fixed my problem in seconds! Thank you so much once again! I admit the program was a bit confusing at first I had no idea what to click but i figured it out. Click on the disk menu at the top of the screen, select partition recovery, go through the process clicking next and then ticking the box that shows up and clicking finish. I thought I was done at that point but you have to go to the top left of the screen and click the "apply" button. I did this and also renamed the drive to the letter it was previously (E). Not sure if the renaming had anything to do with it but it's what worked for me. Best of luck to anyone else that has this problem and stumbles upon this forum!

21emon

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015

Thank you so much, this is really helpful