[SOLVED] HDD Uncorrectable Sector Count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2018
Hi,
My Seagate HDD developed a few Uncorrectable Sectors. Nothing was reallocated but the Uncorrectable Sector Count was around 50.
Before giving it for RMA, I decided to wipe all partitions clean to permanently erase all data.

I rechecked the SMART after wiping all partitions and the SMART was restored. There were no more Uncorrectable sector count. It returned to 0. Nothing was there under Reallocated as well.

How is this possible? I thought Uncorrectable means permanently failed.
Any explanation would be great.
Thanks

Solution
This happens a lot when i wipe bad drives in general. How many wipes did you do? You have to understand that first thing that presents a bad sector is that the drive can't READ from it. If you wipe it a few passes it may be able to wipe clean that area possible and go back to 0. I see this with Reallocated sectors as well.

I still would not use the disk
This happens a lot when i wipe bad drives in general. How many wipes did you do? You have to understand that first thing that presents a bad sector is that the drive can't READ from it. If you wipe it a few passes it may be able to wipe clean that area possible and go back to 0. I see this with Reallocated sectors as well.

I still would not use the disk

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS