HDD undetectable after chkdsk/invalid security issue

sputtering

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
First off, I wasn't there when the issue first came up so this is second hand.

The computer was loading more slowly than usual at the desktop. Clicking the icons would highlight, but not load, them. At some point an error message came up (I'm told "Failure to something something". Sorry I can't elaborate...). After a time the computer was unplugged as nothing was responding. When it was turned back on it went to chkdsk and proceeded to replaced a very large number of invalid security id's. As in it took an hour or so.

Now my computer won't boot much beyond the initial manufacturer's logo screen. I'm left with a black screen.

I've tried a few things so far.

Hitting F12 starts Intel Boot Agent. This leads to PXE E61: Media Test Failure, Check Cable
I've tried unhooking/reconnection the cables to the disk drive. Didn't do a thing.

I've tried booting from my OS disk and clicking on Repair. There was nothing under System Recovery Options. Skipping that, I let the system repair run until it prompted me to restart. Nothing appeared to change so I tried one more time. An error came up saying that the issue couldn't be solved. Under more information it says that there's no HDD.

Finally, I can get to the system settings screen. Here, my HDD does show up.

So I guess my first question should be: is my drive dead? It felt rather warm when I was messing with the connections so there is power going to it, just to rule that out.

I'm keeping it on system settings for the time being in case there's any info from there that I should post.

Thanks ahead of time.