[SOLVED] HDD unmountable and chkdsk taking multiple days

Apr 6, 2020
Hey all,
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience dealing with storage problems and need help with my external NTFS-formatted HDD.

After i copied ~400gb using rsync on ubuntu, I am now unable to access the disk. The linux error message is "Operation already pending". On windows 10 it says "Parameter incorrect".
To try and repair it I started chkdsk /F /I /C from windows 10. It found a lot of unreadable segments and progresses very very slowly. It took three days so far and is only at 22% stage 1, 7% overall. It is still working and making progress, but ETA is >900h.

I have two questions:
-How do i most safely abort chkdsk?
Googling told me that this is inhererently dangerous and can damage files further, but continuing seems no option.
-What should my next steps be?
There is some data that I need still on the drive, so I will first try accessing them using the program from the sticky. Afterwards are there tools that you propose to find the error? Is the harddrive completely damaged beyond repair?

Best regards and thank you,
Michael

Last edited:
Solution
Your drive is essentially dead.

Instead of CHKDSK, you should have attempted to clone your drive with ddrescue or HDDSuperClone. These tools understand how to work with bad sectors or bad heads. However, the drive will most likely fail completely during this process.
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience dealing with storage problems and need help with my external NTFS-formatted HDD.

There is some data that I need still on the drive, so I will first try accessing them using the program from the sticky. Afterwards are there tools that you propose to find the error? Is the ssd completely damaged beyond repair?
Is it an SSD or HDD?

CHKDSK is a bad tool to run against a badly damaged file system. It will only make things harder for you. That said, it would appear that your drive has serious physical problems.

Can you retrieve a SMART report with CrystalDiskInfo? Look for reallocated, pending or uncorrectable sectors.

Apr 6, 2020
It's an HDD. Corrected it in the first post to not confuse people only reading the starter.

I have stopped chkdsk now.

Crystaldiskinfo took very long and almost crashed. It says Caution, reallocated sector count 3768, pending sector count 12608 ( Screenshot: https://ibb.co/kqY1kSg).

Your drive is essentially dead.

Instead of CHKDSK, you should have attempted to clone your drive with ddrescue or HDDSuperClone. These tools understand how to work with bad sectors or bad heads. However, the drive will most likely fail completely during this process.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
You've waited far too long.
The drive appears dead. Taking your data with it.

The physical drive is a trivial concern. Easily replaceable.
The data on it, however...

The time to protect your data is before the physical drive starts to die.

TRENDING THREADS