HDD Upgrade, any help?

lkmellone

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014
Hey guys,
Well, I was looking for a HDD upgrade for my PC. My build is a late 2010 build and I have only a SATA II 500GB Hard Drive and I really need a 2+TB HD in order to work and play some GAIMZ.

I work with videos, so that's why I don't really need a SSD right now, in order to have a plenty of space to work with and use it. (Anyway I plan to get some in some future upgrades).

I found a Seagate one (ST3000DM001), but its durability seems pretty rough, since it has a operating time of 2400hrs.
I also plan transfering all my data from my current HD to this new one, installing win10 and etc. Any advice on how I could do it?

Thanks.

Here's the config if it helps:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2GHz
16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz (4 x 4GB)
SATA II Seagate 500GB 7200RPM
EVGA GTX 460 1GB
Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4

lkmellone

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014
Hmm
My budget can support a 1TB version of the WD Black, but I really wanted something in the same price range for a 3TB. Is it really worth buying the WD Black for this price range and less storage? This one seems to perform really well by the way.

USAFRet

Titan

Among current hard drives, the Seagate 3TB is the specific one you do not want. Multiple entities have tested a wide range of drive, both 'testing' and in actual use, and that specific one has a much worse lifespan record than all other drives.

USAFRet

Titan

No, the Kingston V300 is one to avoid.
It runs, but there are much better choices for only a teeny bit more money. That one is cheap for a reason.

lkmellone

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014

Yeah, I don't like to spend money in cheap stuff, but I was wondering if it's worth, since this is what my money can buy.
I'm getting a WD Black and saving money for future storage upgrades as well.