HDD upgrade question

sprluigi2001

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
I have had my computer for a while now, and I have an ssd boot drive that I keep the game I feel like playing for a while on. All other games and whatnot is on my 3tb hdds that are in raid 1. I am planning on upgrading and I was wondering if I installed a fresh copy of Windows on a new pcie ssd if I could just plug in my hdd array and have it work just the way it did on my current PC?

Hey there, sprluigi2001.

It really depends on the RAID type. If it's hardware RAID (handled by the RAID controller on the motherboard and you UEFI/BIOS), then everything should be fine. However, if it's a software RAID it depends on the program you've used if you'd be able to set up the RAID 1 array again without losing any information. In either way, I'd strongly suggest that you backup you most important data if you haven't done so already, as having a RAID configuration is not really considered a backup (especially if it's in the same system).

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

sprluigi2001

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
Boogieman, the raid is currently handled with the built in features of my Asus z170 a motherboard and I would be getting a new motherboard in the form of a rampage V edition 10. I hope this helps.

sprluigi2001

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
Sorry for dragging this out but the hard drives with the games on it and no windows on them are in a raid one. I was wondering if the different motherboard would ruin the raid. The current motherboard is a Asus z170-a and the one I'm upgrading to is an Asus rampage v edition 10