[SOLVED] HDD use 100%; Cant access the drive.

Swagata

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2012
I have a 5+ years old WD 3TB hdd which was working fine last night. OS is on an SSD. I did a scheduled malwarebyte scan last night then performed a defragment process. However the the defragment process was taking way too long lik 3/4 hours. I got suspicious. I see even after cancelling the process; disk use is 100% and the disk was very slow. I tried to restart the pc but it was just stuck on the shut down screen. I forced turned off the pc and start again; and waitied for 40 minute on windows loading screen. Then I tried disconnecting the hdd and everything worked fine. Is my hdd gone/broke ? While the pc is on, i tried connecting the hdd; and in my computer it appears but the loading animation continues for indefinitely. Tried running Recuva/Malwarebyte but they dont run. As soon as I disconnect the hdd, they all run. About a year ago, I had the same problem with another 3 tb hdd; I though it was gone. Now I see same problem again so I was wondering if its anything else.

Solution
like i said, i dont buy from online. and local shops dont have these probably. also how will this work if the hdd doesnt work from psu/motherboard ?
If the drive is inaccessible when connected internally, it is broken.

Linux, or a USB dock, or anything else will not help.
It is dead.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
However the the defragment process was taking way too long like 3/4 hours. I got suspicious.

3 to 4 hours for 3tb defragmentation made you suspicious? Doesn't that suppose to finish post-apocalypse?
can you uninstall Malwarebyte?

try this, delete all partitions on your hdd. you can recover them later with ease us. does your pc works smoothly with hdd connected?

Tried running Recuva/Malwarebyte but they dont run. As soon as I disconnect the hdd, they all run.
Why are you concerned about Recuva running or not? Are they Usain Bolt or something. let them not run.

Swagata

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2012
3 to 4 hours for 3tb defragmentation made you suspicious? Doesn't that suppose to finish post-apocalypse?
can you uninstall Malwarebyte?

try this, delete all partitions on your hdd. you can recover them later with ease us. does your pc works smoothly with hdd connected?

Why are you concerned about Recuva running or not? Are they Usain Bolt or something. let them not run.
There was only 3% fragmented files. I didnt think it would take such a while. I can uninstall malwarebyte. Dont see the point though.
The hdd has no partition. Only a single partition called D; See the screenshot above. I use 2 ssd and one hdd. I cant format it. Because disk management doesnt work; windows explorer hangs when I try right click on it, diskpart in command prompt hangs when the hdd is connected. pc works smoothly as long as it doesnt need to use that hdd; if any program needs to access that disk, it hangs or stuck.
I was concerned about Recuva becasue I wanted to recover some files. Unfortunately it wont run because the disk is 'still loading'.
Is it possible I got hit with "Ransomware" and the disk is 100% because they are encrypting my 3tb of data ?

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
There was only 3% fragmented files. I didnt think it would take such a while. I can uninstall malwarebyte. Dont see the point though.
The hdd has no partition. Only a single partition called D; See the screenshot above. I use 2 ssd and one hdd. I cant format it. Because disk management doesnt work; windows explorer hangs when I try right click on it, diskpart in command prompt hangs when the hdd is connected. pc works smoothly as long as it doesnt need to use that hdd; if any program needs to access that disk, it hangs or stuck.
I was concerned about Recuva becasue I wanted to recover some files. Unfortunately it wont run because the disk is 'still loading'.
Is it possible I got hit with "Ransomware" and the disk is 100% because they are encrypting my 3tb of data ?

use EaseUs partition master. Just assign drive letter to None. I want all software be blindfolded about your hdd, so we know is it physically dead or .... I think your software are running automatic scheduled tasks to disturb the hard.

got hit by ransomeware: reinstall windows while your hdd is disconnected. I think any test worth saving two big hdds. What are you going to do with your next hdd?

yes, 3 hours is nothing. even copying 3tb from one hdd to another would take longer than that. you were born with ssd?

Go to task manager>performance tab> open resource monitor. then you see CPU, Disk, Network. See what program is using your disk. Order descending the write and read columns.
Or just press win key on keyboard and write resource monitor.

I dont have access to another PC.

I would have find one if my two 3tb hdds were taking dust.

Reactions: Swagata

Swagata

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2012
use EaseUs partition master. Just assign drive letter to None. I want all software be blindfolded about your hdd, so we know is it physically dead or .... I think your software are running automatic scheduled tasks to disturb the hard.

got hit by ransomeware: reinstall windows while your hdd is disconnected. I think any test worth saving two big hdds. What are you going to do with your next hdd?

yes, 3 hours is nothing. even copying 3tb from one hdd to another would take longer than that. you were born with ssd?

Go to task manager>performance tab> open resource monitor. then you see CPU, Disk, Network. See what program is using your disk. Order descending the write and read columns.
Or just press win key on keyboard and write resource monitor.

I would have find one if my two 3tb hdds were taking dust.
Sorry for the delay.
As you can see in the description, neither EaseUS patrition maaster nor the easeus data recovery software run when the hdd is connected. they are apparently 'loading'.
i have not bought a new hdd yet.