HDD use + front panel audio = static noise

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Helpfulsmurf

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
I had a similar problem to most others here. I'm using a Silverstone SGO-2F. Plugging headphones into the front panel gave me a constant clicking sound. I also had a Bluetooth.Wifi adapter plugged into an extension cable and then plugged into the front panel. However, it was not on at the time of the issue. Moving the adapter away didn't make any difference. However, as soon as I unplugged the adapter, the clicking stopped.

I hope this helps others.

jrockfever

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
I have a solution that should work for you guys, I was speaking with an electrician who works with computers so he knows allot about grounding, etc. Simply wrap tin foil around the cable, test it out make sure its filtering out the sound. If you have it wrapped properly just wrap electrical tape around it. I tried it and and it works, no more computer noises and hissing.

I realize this has been mentioned, but duct tape is not a good choice, it simply wasn't designed for things like this.

Roney Gumbalan

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
I had This problem just now in a Cooler Master Enforcer Casing.. i did not risk trying to scratch on anything but i uninstalled realtek sound driver in control panel.. restarted the computer and its fix.. i think its when i installed the audio driver when a webcam that has an external speaker and was plugged into the back panel of my case.. that might have screwed the audio driver..

MIDHUN S

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
GUYS I FOUND THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM!!!!!!....CHEER UP!!!!!.....

IF UR MOUSE IS PLUGGED INTO THE USB PORT ON THE FRONT THEN DISCONNECT IT AND CONNECT IT TO THE BACK USB .
THEN PLUG UR HEAD PHONE INTO THE FRONT USB PORT

AND IF UR MOTHER BOARD SUPPORTS HD SOUND THEN U MIGHT NEED TO DO ONE MORE THIND IF U STILL HEAR THE SOUND .U NEED TO RESTART YOUR PC AND OPEN BIOS SETUP .SO TO NORTHERN BRIDGE CONFIGURATION AND SELECT AC97 INSTEAD OF HD .SAVE YOUR SETTING AND REBOOT..AND UR DONE...NO MORE BUSSINGS !!!!!

juanma47

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
I solved the issue of the interference in my PC disconnecting the grounds of the audio jack, USB etc between them. At first the audio malfunctioned without being grounded so I wired the ground of the audio jack to the ground coming in the HD-audio cable of my PC. I also had to bridge the ground of some USB on the right of the scratch to others on the other side. Finding the ground was easy using the tester. You've got to see which spots are inter-conected using the resistence mode. I touched the ground with one of the tester cables and all the pins one by one with the other cable. The pins which were corresponding to cables from the HD-audio connector and were also ground where isolated by scratches of the USB grounds and connected via a wire to and only to the audio jack. Sorry for my English, I'm from Argentina. Hope this helps ! (link to an image below)
https://scontent-b-gru.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t1.0-9/10374850_10204190058136827_3986614444736735719_n.jpg

Tarv

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
Hey everyone, as I've fixed this issue on my last 3 cases I thought I'd post my thoughts and the reason this is a common issue.

I just fixed this on my Thermaltake Level 10 GT case. (Previously on my Antec 300 and 600 cases). My issue, while similar, is interference from the video card while the video card is under load.

See attached image while I explain.
QWY44hq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QWY44hq.jpg

The reason this happens is because the case design assumes that it is OK to connect the headphone jack to COMMON GROUND. You'll notice that the PCB is grounded to the chassis when it is attached (A) and that shares the ground with both the USB (B) and Audio (C). As people mentioned, you may see feedback from USB devices as the ground is shared. The truth is, this audio jack should not share any ground, and should only be grounded via the header back to the motherboard.

When Audio uses a common ground like this, it will pick up all sorts of noise that other devices are bleeding into the chassis. Isolating the ground to the audio header on the motherboard will resolve the issue, as the sound card SHOULD have proper noise filtering that won't allow garbage to back flow into the audio header.

With this case, cutting the PCB (D) as shown will both remove the shared ground from the USB (B) and remove the connection to the chassis ground (A).

If you are having this problem on a different case, just isolate the points as I have and make sure that your audio ground does not have continuity with the USB (B) or chassis (A) ground. Also NOTE that you must disconnect the audio/usb header from your motherboard when testing continuity, as the ground points will be connected through the motherboard and show continuity, which is normal. Disconnect when testing!

Let's hope some day case designers give their head a shake. Until then, good luck everyone.

G

i know this is an ancient thread but relevant, i think. when i opened my cabinet i felt that i couldn't perform this scratch method here. so i started removing usb devices attached to front panel and found that my mouse was interfering to cause a whining sound. now i attach mouse in back panel and enjoy trouble free sound from front panel.

wren9x

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015

wren9x

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
Simply disable the front usb jacks by unplugging their cable from the motherboard.

Its a hardware issue with the ground loop that case manufacturers use to ground
usb and audio jacks to the same ground. This causes emi static and all that
buzzing noise in the headphones. By unplugging the usb cable from the m/b
isolates the audio from interference.

There's plenty of usb cables in the back of the case to keep you happy.

cheers