Question HDD visible in my BIOs but not in Windows

Nov 20, 2020
I use an HDD alongside my main SSD for storage purposes, however it suddenly stopped being detected by Windows after over a year of use. It is not visible in Explorer, Device Manager or Disk Management, but it is visible on my BIOs. I tried getting new SATA cables and that didn't work. Assuming the HDD had failed, I bought another and it has the same issue. I have made sure that the SATA mode is set to AHCI and have completely done all Windows Updates.

My Specs:

Old HDD: Seagate 3.5 Inch 2TB BarraCuda
New HDD: Western Digital 4TB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock x570 Pro 4
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x16GB)
PSU: Corsair CP-9020101
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX5700 XT 8GB

RealBeast

Titan
Did you also try another SATA port when you used a different cable?

I would also download and run the HDD utilities for each drive: Seagate Seatools for Windows and WD Data Lifeguard. You will need to do that anyway to get an RMA if you need to. You can check SMART values and run short and long drive tests with them.

Also, do the HDD show up if you open an elevated command prompt (right click, run as admin) and type:
diskpart <enter>
list disk <enter>

While two new drives failing is not a high probability it is possible.

Nov 20, 2020
I did try using different SATA ports, my motherboard supports up to 8 and I have tried each of them. I also tried those utilities you mentioned, and they are unable to see the HDD so I can't make use of them.

I also tried checking disk part and list disk, and that only shows my primary SSD that still works.