HDD vs SSD impact GPU's performance?

PodGreener

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
Going to show two links of result from test my same PC. The different is the Hard Drive-- the first one was using SSD, and the second one is using HDD:
A) http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=78337602718
B) http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=82162353386

My PC is Dell Optiplex 755 (MT) with upgraded to Q9550, 8gb ram, and 400 watts PSU.
Outside of the PC is the same GPU on both tests: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SC 4GB w/ EVGA ACX Cooler (PN: 04G-P4-2768-KR). Of course, the GPU can not fit in the case so had to use "PCI-E 16X Riser Card Ribbon Extender Extension 20cm Cable." It was working fine when play Battlefield 4 at low setting for long hours or med to high for few games to one game due to heat on motherboard lead to a blue screen.

My question is why the performances are different as I need to confirm that nothing to do with Hard Drive of either SSD or HDD.

Why was I downgrading to HDD from SDD? Because I think my apartment complex have bad surges that occur often in winter due to heaters or so or other reasons. I can see the lights nearly go flicking quickly of times, dimming for short time, or more brightness as I thought the lights going to blowout from over voltage. So, I read somewhere here that suggest not to buy SSD if you got bad power surges often where using it lead to think that could the main reason to worn it out faster. Not risking buying other one till moving to new apartment elsewhere.

Solution
All your PC components are vulnerable to power surges. That's why surge protectors are a thing, you should look into getting one. The SSD is not especially vulnerable, I'd use the SSD.

I can't think of why the scores would be different in that test. I suspect that maybe the riser cable use has something to do with it. Try a different test like 3dmark and see if the same thing happens.
All your PC components are vulnerable to power surges. That's why surge protectors are a thing, you should look into getting one. The SSD is not especially vulnerable, I'd use the SSD.

I can't think of why the scores would be different in that test. I suspect that maybe the riser cable use has something to do with it. Try a different test like 3dmark and see if the same thing happens.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Flickering and dimming are not due to surges, they are due to 'brown outs' where the current into your fuse box is slightly lower than what's needed. A surge protector won't do anything for you at all, as the voltages necessary to trip that don't exist, and current flow is lower than normal and only returns to normal. What will help is a APC, battery backup of some sort. A decent unit will have surge protection, but it's main purpose is to add to any power loss. AC power charges a battery, which powers a converter back to AC to power the pc. It'll absorb any surges, and will output full needed current and voltage necessary to power the pc. Just get one large enough capacity to do what you need in case of full power outtage.

Actually, if the power is bad, a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) in place of a surge protector would probably be best to protect your computer hardware from surges and brownout conditions, and can even power the computer for several minutes from its battery when an outage occurs, giving you a chance to save your work and power everything down properly.

A surge protector will only provide protection from large surges, and doesn't really do much to protect from brownout conditions, which can also damage electronics.

Edit: And I was ninja'ed by Karadjgne. : P

PodGreener

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017

You are right, dontlistentom, the riser cable is the problem. It was moved so many time because the exposed part of desk tower where GPU is next to busy foot traffic. I bumped into it many time at night to a bathroom or back. Sometimes, in the morning, I see it hang off the desk. So, I am going to turn it face me where I sit and hope of not need to replace the cable soon. I am sure you want to see the result of the latest test. Here it is: http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=82187014288

TRENDING THREADS