Hdd without OS is the primary disk

Claydavis21

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016
Hi, a few days ago I installed a 3t hdd to my computer but every time I turn the computer on it refuses to boot, so I have to restart it and select the hdd I want to boot in the boot menu. I checked in the windows 10 disk manager utility and the newly installed disk is set as the primary disk. I tried going in the bios but after checking every option there is all I could find is the boot order but changing it did exactly nothing. How can I change my hdd with the OS as my primary hdd?

Solution
Merry Christmas & Welcome to the community, @Claydavis21!

It would be really helpful if you share more details about your system's specs. I'd strongly recommend you check your BIOS boot order again after a BIOS reset and also make sure your primary HDD is connected to the first SATA port on the mobo (SATA 0/SATA 1) and the secondary in the next available one. Have you clean installed the OS on the primary HDD while having the 3 TB connected as well? If you had both HDDs connected to the motherboard, you could be experiencing an OS confusion. I'd ask you to share a screenshot of your Disk Management in Windows as it would really help us determine what the problem could be. If there isn't any important data on the...
Merry Christmas & Welcome to the community, @Claydavis21!

It would be really helpful if you share more details about your system's specs. I'd strongly recommend you check your BIOS boot order again after a BIOS reset and also make sure your primary HDD is connected to the first SATA port on the mobo (SATA 0/SATA 1) and the secondary in the next available one. Have you clean installed the OS on the primary HDD while having the 3 TB connected as well? If you had both HDDs connected to the motherboard, you could be experiencing an OS confusion. I'd ask you to share a screenshot of your Disk Management in Windows as it would really help us determine what the problem could be. If there isn't any important data on the 3 TB HDD yet, I'd also suggest you try to reformat the drive from Disk Management.

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution