[SOLVED] HDD works on on the old computer but is not detected on the newly-build computer

Nov 17, 2019
Hi everyone,

Today I helped my friend build his own computer since I already built my rig. Everything went smooth and we have his OS installed on an NVMe SSD. He also wanted to use his old 1 TB HDD from his old computer, that also has his old OS installed. During the installation of windows, I guess it detected the old OS because it offered to do keep old files or install clean. Next step was to choose a partition and only the SSD was there - this was the first flag.

Afterwards, the HDD was missing from the UEFI/BIOS and under Disk Management. Which is very weird and I am not sure I can figure it out without help. Here's what information we've collected:

- It looks like it was recognized during windows install because the installer offered to keep old files. On the next step, the HDD was missing.

- HDD is spinning, so it has power.

- We moved back the old HDD to the old rig and it booted just fine.

- We switched two SATA cables and there was no difference in the result.

- Once I believe we ran into the "American Desk ATA devices detected screen" but the HDD was not displayed during the error.

-We updated the BIOS & Chipset with the drivers from the manufacture's website

- I'll try to find some time after work on Wednesday and bring my HDD to test it out on my friend's computer.

Can you please share your thoughts and offer some advice? Could it be due to the HDD being quite old? Somehow I doubt that. Is it because there is already an OS installed on it? Anything you can offer will be of great value.

EDIT:
PC Specs:
CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 2700X
SSD: SAMSUNG SSD 970 EVO PLUS 250GB
GPU: MSI GEFORCE GTX 1660
Chasis: FRACTAL DESIGN MESHIFY C
PSU: CORSAIR TX-M SERIES MODULAR TX550M
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DIMM KIT 32GB
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS

The old HDD we are trying to reuse is Seagate BarraCuda 1TB.

Thanks,
Valentin

Last edited:
Solution
Start over completely. Don't try to "fix it".
Disconnect ALL other drives.
Install on the NVMe.
Reconnect other drives after.

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to list your friend's system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Have you tried giving the drive another go, after you've installed the chipset/storage controller's drivers manually? I don't know the board you're using(or it's chipset which is why I can't suggest a specific driver for the platform.

Speaking of drivers, which version of the OS(assuming Windows 10) are you on? Latest BIOS update for the board?

Nov 17, 2019
Thank you for your feedback - I've updated the first post with the specs (sorry for missing it out).

We installed the OS on the NVMe while the HDD was also connected. We probably did something wrong and it would be good to figure out what it is.

We also tried updating the BIOS with the update from the manufacture's website - nothing changed.

popatim

Titan
Is the HDD detected in the Bios?
Is it present in Disk Management? Since both would normally be C: drive, you would need to assign another letter to it first for it to show up in explorer. Rt click on the partition in the lower section of Disk Management and select Change Drive Letters and Paths.

USAFRet

Titan
Start over completely. Don't try to "fix it".
Disconnect ALL other drives.
Install on the NVMe.
Reconnect other drives after.

Solution