Question HDD works ridiculous on a dvd CADDY

Apr 19, 2019
I have recently bought an ssd 2.5” SATA III Adata su655 120 gb. I put it in a CADDY and have cleaned installed windows 10 on. Then replaced the hdd with the ssd and put the hdd in caddy, windows boots up fine on ssd in place of the hdd were. But when playing movie or copying files the transfer speed even read or write is 0KB to 20 MB/s and suddenly drops to 0 and remains for a couple of seconds, even though in task manager it is working 100% without any read/write speed!!! My hdd is 1tb 5200 and worked fine on it’s place. Can be the problem capacity of the hdd that the caddy doesn’t support??? What if i put my ssd 120gb in caddy instead of my old hdd?!

[The problem solved]
Check recent messages

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
What was wrong with keeping the SSD in it's initial location inside the caddy in your laptop? You could've added the HDD later after completing OS installation or had it in the laptop while you were installing the OS careful not to format the wrong drive.

Are you on the latest BIOS update for your laptop's motherboard?

I have recently bought an ssd 2.5” SATA III Adata su655 120 gb. I put it in a CADDY and have cleaned installed windows 10 on. Then replaced the hdd with the ssd and put the hdd in caddy, windows boots up fine on ssd in place of the hdd were. But when playing movie or copying files the transfer speed even read or write is 0KB to 20 MB/s and suddenly drops to 0 and remains for a couple of seconds, even though in task manager it is working 100% without any read/write speed!!! My hdd is 1tb 5200 and worked fine on it’s place. Can be the problem capacity of the hdd that the caddy doesn’t support??? What if i put my ssd 120gb in caddy instead of my old hdd?!

You did this in an odd way, why did you install Win 10 on the disk in the caddy the move it? Why not simply install it in the laptop, and install Windows 10 on it then?

I would do that. Remove the second drive, keep the 120 gb SSD in the system (you really should have gotten a larger drive so you can install programs on it, they are cheap now), install Windows on the internal SSD. Then plug in the hard drive in the caddy to use as a second drive.

Reactions: MohCen73
Apr 19, 2019
What was wrong with keeping the SSD in it's initial location inside the caddy in your laptop? You could've added the HDD later after completing OS installation or had it in the laptop while you were installing the OS careful not to format the wrong drive.

Are you on the latest BIOS update for your laptop's motherboard?
Bcuz I heard that i should place the ssd on the motherboard and place the hdd in caddy to have full speed experience of ssd, even though windows would start very fast on dvd caddy! But i replaced them after windows installation. Are you saying that i should update my bios?
Bcuz the ssd was working just fine on the caddy. You think that the problem with the large size of hdd on that kind of caddy should be solved with a bios update?

Apr 19, 2019
The problem solved.
I just replaced the ssd with the hdd and put the ssd 120 gb in caddy drive and everything went right. The problem was the capacity of hdd 1 tb which wasn’t been supported by the caddy drive. Or maybe there has to be more power from the caddy to handle a mechanical drive.

Apr 19, 2019
You did this in an odd way, why did you install Win 10 on the disk in the caddy the move it? Why not simply install it in the laptop, and install Windows 10 on it then?

I would do that. Remove the second drive, keep the 120 gb SSD in the system (you really should have gotten a larger drive so you can install programs on it, they are cheap now), install Windows on the internal SSD. Then plug in the hard drive in the caddy to use as a second drive.
I didn’t have many programs or games to install except office and photoshop So i just bought it to have a smooth windows and it actually did the trick. It boots up only in 10-15 seconds and ready to use. The problem was the supporting size of caddy. I put the ssd in caddy drive with no problem.