[SOLVED] HDD's die when connected

Feb 3, 2020
So I have a new PC that was just built. The OS is currently installed on a SATA SSD and works perfectly fine. I originally had a used reformatted 1TB WD Blue given to me to use as a data drive but during initial setup, the bios couldn't even detect it was there. After I setting up the OS, I started to trouble shoot the HDD issue with different cables and different SATA ports. The drive just would not spin up even when attached to an external HDD dock. I figured it was a dead drive and purchased a new one. I verified that it was in working order with an external dock on both an existing working computer, and the new computer. I connected it internally to SATA and the PSU and booted it up. First thing I noticed was it did not spin up and it was not detected in the BIOS. I tried the typical trouble shooting steps and I've gone through 3 new HDD's now. They all cannot be detected by any other device now after coming in contact with the new PC. Any help would be much appreciated!

Specs:
mpg z390 gaming pro carbon ac
EVGA 2080TI
intel I7 9700 K
Samsung SSD 850 Pro
Thermaltake RGB 850W

Dead HDD's:
WD Blue 1TB x3
WD Black 1TB

Solution
It sounds like the PSU you have is modular and has the wrong cables installed or the cables were miswired.
Cables are not universal, sometimes even within the same line of PSU's, so you need to use only the cables that came with your PSU.

The SSD only uses the 5v & Ground lines and the HDD's use 12v too.

popatim

Titan
It sounds like the PSU you have is modular and has the wrong cables installed or the cables were miswired.
Cables are not universal, sometimes even within the same line of PSU's, so you need to use only the cables that came with your PSU.

The SSD only uses the 5v & Ground lines and the HDD's use 12v too.

Solution
Feb 3, 2020
I did use cables from another modular PSU as I'm building this PC for someone else and they could not find the SATA power cables. I'll try to have him find the correct cable and report back if that solves the issue.

USAFRet

Titan
I did use cables from another modular PSU as I'm building this PC for someone else and they could not find the SATA power cables. I'll try to have him find the correct cable and report back if that solves the issue.
And doing that, you killed the drives.

Modular PSU cables are NOT compatible across brands.

Finding the correct cables is too late. You already killed the drives.