Question HDDs disconnecting with a loud beep - Faulty motherboard?

Gorchitsa

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
Hey everyone,

I'll make this as short as possible.

Setup:

Mobo: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

GPU: EVGA RTX 3060

PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum

Storage: Crucial MX500 250Gb

Storage: Samsung 970 PRO 512Gb

Storage: Toshiba MG08 6TB

The problems:

Several, various, but the main one is i bought a new HDD in December of last year that is now not working properly. It's constantly disconnecting with a loud beep, sometimes not even under any load (like when i was installing Windows on an SSD while the HDD wasn't engaged in the process at all).

Some context:

Like i said, i bought it in December of last year.

All was working fine at first. At the time i was running a different CPU and mobo. (Ryzen 7 2700x and Asrock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming-ITX/ac). Same PSU, not a singe issue with it whatsoever.

Then in January, i made an upgrade and changed the CPU and mobo to the ones listed above.

It was still working fine at first. Enough that now it's not clear if the upgrade was the immediate cause of the problem. About two weeks after the upgrade it started disconnecting.

Sometimes it would hang up the system all together to the point where i couldn't even restart it.

I also have a backup 1 Tb drive. I tried connecting that and it's not working properly either. When connected it's clicking and keeps disconnecting as well. Now it is pretty old, so i can't be 100% sure that's in just the HDD that's at fault.

I have tried running both of these HDDs on a different PC and they seemed to work fine. I tried opening stuff on it, copying huge amounts for large periods of time and it wasn't an issue.
I have also tried swapping the cables, both sata and power.

Besides this problem the computer works fine-ish. I could game on it for hours with no problems, off of the Toshiba HDD no less and it hadn't disconnected once.I stress tested both the CPU and the GPU several times.I also managed to edit and finish a video project on it. There was an issue where the render would stall half way and both the CPU and the GPU utilization would drop to zero and it would do nothing pretty much, although that could be a Premiere issue.T here's also a slight problem in that i can't use FanControl anymore because it just won't launch, same as Gigabyte's own software for controlling RGB, which isn't a big deal of course, but it just makes me more suspicious that there's something wrong with the board.

CPU can't affect the PC in this sort of way, can it?

Would really appreciate some input on this.

Thank you.

UPDATE: I can't believe it, but between the three new things i got in the upgrade, it might have been the case that's the problem all along. It's an SFF case, DAN A4-H20, which has a PSU cable extension, and i must have been off by one contact or something when putting the cable in, but i pretty much just reconnected everything and it's been fine for the past couple days. I'm still wary and on the look out, but it seems to be fine. I also wiped the OS drive clean and installed the stock official build off of Microsoft's site which also fixed a couple issues, like the FanControl not launching (reinstalling Windows was a separate measure and was done after the disconnecting had already stopped. I'm 90% positive it was the case cable that was causing the issue.)

UPDATE 2: The issue's back. Decided to get an external box to try and rule out PSU.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Then in January, i made an upgrade and changed the CPU and mobo to the ones listed above.
+

Did you reinstall the OS after the motherboard swap? Also, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at this moment of time? Age of the PSU in your specs?

Reactions: Gorchitsa

Gorchitsa

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
+

Did you reinstall the OS after the motherboard swap? Also, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at this moment of time? Age of the PSU in your specs?
Yes, reinstalled Windows right away.
Latest stable BIOS (F15). There's also two beta versions with the patch notes suggesting that AGESA is the only thing being updated. Should i try those out?
PSU was purchased in 2021.

Lutfij

Titan
Latest stable BIOS (F15)
AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.5

I'd advise on updating the BIOS as soon as you can and see if that alleviates the issue. Update to A.G.E.S.A code 1.2.0.7. As for your drives, try and also use other known working data cables.

Hang on, what is the PCB revision for your motherboard? 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2?

Gorchitsa

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
Latest stable BIOS (F15)
AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.5

I'd advise on updating the BIOS as soon as you can and see if that alleviates the issue. Update to A.G.E.S.A code 1.2.0.7. As for your drives, try and also use other known working data cables.

Hang on, what is the PCB revision for your motherboard? 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2?
I messaged Gigabyte's support last month to ask what's the difference between 1.1 and 1.2 and apparently there are no hardware differences, so who knows why there's a version 1.2.
I have used other cables, both power and SATA, but i suppose trying the last SATA remainders can't hurt.

Gorchitsa

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
I'd suspect cables connecting to HDD (power and data) or HDD itself.
Could be also a problem with PSU.

Note - if you decide to change PSU, then all modular PSU cables have to be replaced too.
Wrong modular PSU cables can kill/damage hardware connected.
I've tried changing both SATA and the power cable and there was no difference.
I guess i should write Corsair's support a message as well.

Lutfij

Titan
Gigabyte are pretty much the only board out there that have PCB revisions for the motherboards, and if you have them placed side by side you're going to notice silent updates made to the board's power delivery or componentry as Gigabyte might find favorable pricing on other parts. They will also revise the design on their boards to exclude compoenntry that are deemed unnecessary.

You might also want to note that all three PCB versions don't have the same BIOS listings on their respective sites which is why I asked to verify which BIOS is appropriate. Using the wrong BIOS file meant for another board can and will brick a functional motherboard.

Gorchitsa

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
Gigabyte are pretty much the only board out there that have PCB revisions for the motherboards, and if you have them placed side by side you're going to notice silent updates made to the board's power delivery or componentry as Gigabyte might find favorable pricing on other parts. They will also revise the design on their boards to exclude compoenntry that are deemed unnecessary.

You might also want to note that all three PCB versions don't have the same BIOS listings on their respective sites which is why I asked to verify which BIOS is appropriate. Using the wrong BIOS file meant for another board can and will brick a functional motherboard.
That's good to know, thank you. The BIOS was version F15 out of the box and if i were to update it, i do understand the importance.