HDD's health reduced to 75% from 100% suddenly! Need help ASAP.

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Hello! I was using my PC as usual and checked the HDD status using Hard Disk Sentinel. Health And Performance, both were at 100%. I launched Bittorent and resumed a file which is of 36.5GB.
It started checking the file as usual and hard disk went on 100% usage in Task Manager (as always). Then suddenly my PC crashed and i got a blue screen error and error code was : KERNAL DATA INPAGE ERROR. I restarted my PC and checked opened Hard Disk Sentinel and found this:

eyFAXwP.png

:(
:(

Now my questions are:

Q1. Why the hell this happened?

Q2. Can I restore the health to 100%?

Q3. If yes to Q2, then how?

Q4. How can I prevent the health from going further down?

Q5. Anyway to clear those 42 bad sectors???

Please help!!! This is my new HDD. Previous one also failed :( See this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3640624/solve-smart-hard-disk-error-smart-hard-disk-check-detected-imminent-failure.html

Thanks in advance.

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

what about my questions????

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
Aomei Partition Assistant and CrystalDiskInfo are a FREE software suites that will give you a lot more information about what is happening.

ignore that day count though, it is total BS, I have drives waaaaaaaay over that and still going strong.

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
xFNl2GT.png

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
I've personally had nothing but problems with Western Digital hard drives and I have seen them begin to have problems out of nowhere and then go downhill rapidly. As for a way to fix it, you can try to do a disk scan and it will attempt to fix errors. Open This PC, right click the hard drive, select Properties, click the Tools tab, select Check, choose Scan Drive. But honestly I would try to buy a new hard drive as soon as possible and move your data off of the current one over to the new. I personally like Seagate drives, they seem to run faster and have less issues, FOR ME, others will disagree.

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

hmm

I've had more problems with WD as of late than Seagate myself......but regardless....

I think it's very possible that drive is on its way out and I would grab the data......now.

As far as the day count....ignore it....I have drives that have been spinning continuously for 10-20 years.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
"S.M.A.R.T. Attribute: Current Pending Sector Count

Description

Current Pending Sector Count S.M.A.R.T. parameter is a critical parameter and indicates the current count of unstable sectors (waiting for remapping). The raw value of this attribute indicates the total number of sectors waiting for remapping. Later, when some of these sectors are read successfully, the value is decreased. If errors still occur when reading some sector, the hard drive will try to restore the data, transfer it to the reserved disk area (spare area) and mark this sector as remapped.

Please also consult your machines's or hard disks documentation. Recommendations

This is a critical parameter. Degradation of this parameter may indicate imminent drive failure. Urgent data backup and hardware replacement is recommended.

Source S.M.A.R.T. Attribute: Current Pending Sector Count

Count of "unstable" sectors (waiting to be remapped, because of unrecoverable read errors).

If an unstable sector is subsequently read successfully, the sector is remapped and this value is decreased.

Read errors on a sector will not remap the sector immediately (since the correct value cannot be read and so the value to remap is not known, and also it might become readable later); instead, the drive firmware remembers that the sector needs to be remapped, and will remap it the next time it's written.

However some drives will not immediately remap such sectors when written; instead the drive will first attempt to write to the problem sector and if the write operation is successful then the sector will be marked good (in this case, the "Reallocation Event Count" (0xC4) will not be increased).

This is a serious shortcoming, for if such a drive contains marginal sectors that consistently fail only after some time has passed following a successful write operation, then the drive will never remap these problem sectors."

So, the drive may have a number of damaged sectors, but until a full scan is performed, you dont know.

Other reasons do exist for why a sector gets marked as bad, ie vibration from someone walking near the PC while it is active, assuming the PC is not located on a solid floor, but something like the wooded suspended floors found in most UK houses.

Even shouting near a PC is enough to throw errors.

Yes, a full scan may suddenly show a huge number of errors, but it doesnt CAUSE them

I have had a similar problem, but if you use some software like - EASEUS Partition Master, it can do a physical scan of your HDD and mark the bad sectors.
What this means is, the sectors will be marked as bad and nothing else will be written to them, but in case the sectors are in USE, you should be able to read the data from it still, but nothing else will ever be written to it.
You can download a FREE TRIAL and its always good to ignore the idiots are are complaining about torrents.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/check-disk-errors-in-windows-10.html basically you just right click on the drive, check disk

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
Addendum to the above, whichever HDD tool you use, you have to do a full "Surface" scan. this will read, write and read back every sector; doing this may relabel some sectors as good again (see my last post for "why?").

There is no way to fix a sector that is genuinely damaged, the HDD will mark it as such and not use it, however you DO need to run regular scans and keep an eye on how many bad sectors there are; if it suddenly starts going up quickly, you need to get your data off ASAP as the drive is going into a "cascade failure"; where its lifespan is measured in days before complete failure.