HDDs not working as Single Drives after RAID 0 attempt

john.scissons.01

Honorable
Aug 16, 2018
Hello there!

I am a new member to Tom's Hardware forums, and wanted to reach out to see if I can get assistance on what I can do about my particular problem.

I had acquired a Corsair case, to which I transferred all of my current hardware to the new case. The hardware is as follows: ASUS Sabertooth 990fx mobo, AMD Phenom II x6 1090T Black Edition, Powercolor Red Devil RX Vega 64 graphics card, and currently 3 internal HDDs (WD 180gb as boot, 1TB Seagate as storage, and WD 2.5" 250gb for Apps). My current rig works fine with no problems. My problem actually stems from an earlier attempt to switch over to a RAID 0 boot setup while keeping the other drives as single drives. My father had given me 4 brand new unopened packs of Maxtor DiamondMAx 10 80gb SATA HDDs. Out of the pack of 4, I decided to use 2 to have a 2 drive RAID 0 setup to serve as my boot drives. I utilized the motherboard's legacy RAID 0 controller, not the UEFI. The first attempt I successfully managed to install Windows 10, and it began to boot up from the RAID 0 setup. After updating Windows 10, I rebooted the PC. However, after rebooting the PC, the RAID 0 controller couldn't recognize the drives. I have went through the usual troubleshooting procedures that involved reassigning the RAID 0 drives through the mobo's legacy controller. After a couple of attempts, I managed to get a new Windows 10 installation to detect the RAID 0 drive setup. Unfortunately, each time I try to make it install onto the drive, Windows 10 claims that it cannot install itself into the drive, regardless of how many times I manage to format the drive, which it allows for me to do. After a few more attempts of troubleshooting, I had given up and switched to my single drive setup that I am using now.

Fast forward to now (THIS is the current problem). I had made the decision to begin experimenting with Linux Mint and/or Linux Ubuntu, and to do that, I want to dual boot my current PC using Linux on one of the drives my father had given to me for free. I decided to turn the first two Maxtor drives I attempted to use as a RAID 0 array earlier into single drives, and use only one to house a Linux build. I connected one of the drives into my PC, but Windows 10 can't seem to detect it. I rebooted the PC and went into the BIOS to see if the BIOS detected the Hard Drive, which it did. Booting back into Windows 10, I couldn't see the drive at all. I did bring up the Disk Management utility on Windows, to which the utility did detect an unassigned hard disk, but did not display any information on its size. I right clicked on the drive and clicked to "Initialize Drive", but it claims that it cannot initialize the drive. I disconnected the drive after shutting down and connected the second drive that was used in the previous failed RAID 0 array. The second drive showed the same symptoms. Both hard drives do power up and spin up.

My question is... is there any way at all to resurrect these drives? Would brute force formatting work? I do have 2 other unopened Maxtor hard drives that I can use, but I would rather not use the brand new spares until I know for certain that the previously used Maxtor drives are dead and unsalvageable. Any input or help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
At that vintage drive's maximum 54MBps speed, writing 0.08 terabytes should take 24.7 minutes. After all, it's only 80GB, even if it's only a bit faster than USB 2.0.

Whether or not this is forever to you, if Windows' Disk Management can't see it, then Windows' Diskpart may not see it and zero-fill works every time provided the utility can operate the SATA controller. Note that things may go faster if AHCI is temporarily disabled, as we're not in Windows anymore.
Since Seagate purchased Maxtor, their bootable SeaTools utility should recognize the disks. Boot from it, then run Erase Overwrite Full to zero-fill the drives and return them to a fresh out-of-the-box state.

If that doesn't work then you could try searching for the vintage Maxtor Powermax Diagnostics utility to do the same. Vintage drives should work with their correspondingly vintage utility.

Note that you will probably need to use the normal chipset SATA ports, not the RAID controller ones for this.

At that vintage drive's maximum 54MBps speed, writing 0.08 terabytes should take 24.7 minutes. After all, it's only 80GB, even if it's only a bit faster than USB 2.0.

Whether or not this is forever to you, if Windows' Disk Management can't see it, then Windows' Diskpart may not see it and zero-fill works every time provided the utility can operate the SATA controller. Note that things may go faster if AHCI is temporarily disabled, as we're not in Windows anymore.

Solution