HDMI 1.4 to DisplayPort, would it make a difference? Attempting 1440p @ 60Hz

CaptainTim

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
So my older laptop (2013) only has a VGA port and HDMI 1.4a port, but has (or is about to have) an Nvidia GT 650m graphics Card capable of a maximum of 2160p.

I'm trying to get it to run my external 27" 1440p monitor. I know that attempting 4K is out of the question based on the limitations of HDMI 1.4a, but would purchasing an adapter cable from HDMI to DP raise my chances of at least reaching 1440p @ 60Hz?

The only reason I am asking is because I am currently running it on the Intel HD Graphics 4000 with a regular HDMI cable, which gets me to 1080p max. I have the new graphics card coming in and I was wondering if it would be subject to the same limitations. In other words, is it limited by the graphics card or the cable at this point?

I'm just trying it eliminate all variables. I was thinking that maybe trying to connect the monitor through the DP port (or even the DVI port) rather than the HDMI port might help, but since it would be converted back to HDMI 1.4 when connecting to the laptop, I wasn't sure if this would matter in the grand scheme of things or not.

Just trying to make this laptop into a semi decent gaming computer to tide me over while I slowly build my desktop PC. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

CaptainTim

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

It is the HP Envy DV7-7250us. But I have replaced the original motherboard with a new one that has the Nvidia Geforce 650m integrated graphics card instead of the original intel hd graphics 4000.