[SOLVED] HDMI 2.1 / 4K Soundbar Passthrough

Jimper

Reputable
Mar 9, 2020
So as I was unable to get the 3080 I decided to wait until 2021 and stick with my 2060 Super. I managed to get a PS5 on pre-order and new soundbar (4k ARC Passthrough) with a HDMI 2.1 (eARC) compatible TV.
Anybody know if the 4K HMDI passthrough on a soundbar will stop the benefits of HDMI 2.1 (4k/120fps, VRR, etc)? I've got the LG SN7CY soundbar.
Cheers.

TV: LG BX
Soundbar: SN7CY

Reactions: Tarmek
Solution
So I can confirm an ARC capable soundbar will negate your 2.1 features of 4K 120. Manufacturers are pretty good about stating what the paasthrough limitations are. My current setup is a SonyX900H and a Yamaha YAS-207BL which as great as this soundbar is, I'm bummed that I'm limited to 4K 60 when using it as a passthrough especially with the two consoles having launched this week.

So in other words, just make sure you look into what your soundbar or receiver is capable of supporting so that your fancy HDMI 2.1 port on your TV isn't going to waste. Or else you'll just have to dedicate one HDMI port to your soundbar and forego the paasthrough or dedicate it to something that doesn't require the full 4K 120.
Nov 12, 2020
So I can confirm an ARC capable soundbar will negate your 2.1 features of 4K 120. Manufacturers are pretty good about stating what the paasthrough limitations are. My current setup is a SonyX900H and a Yamaha YAS-207BL which as great as this soundbar is, I'm bummed that I'm limited to 4K 60 when using it as a passthrough especially with the two consoles having launched this week.

So in other words, just make sure you look into what your soundbar or receiver is capable of supporting so that your fancy HDMI 2.1 port on your TV isn't going to waste. Or else you'll just have to dedicate one HDMI port to your soundbar and forego the paasthrough or dedicate it to something that doesn't require the full 4K 120.

Solution