HDMI 2.1 Supports Larger Bandwidth, Higher Resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im still on 1080p.
I had the option of going 4K or high refresh rate for my last monitor and I decided for High refresh rate.
I dont know if thats the "better" option but I do think that because 4K is very demanding in gaming its still too small of a market for prices to drop significantly.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012

The funny one will be when the release the "perfected" edition, called High Dynamic Range HDR.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Finally HDMI with some decent bandwidth. Too bad I bought my TV at the end of last year and I won't be able to enjoy my 4k at 120hz =/.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
@Warsaw AFAIK most TVs don't accept a >60Hz signal anyway, regardless of the capabilities of the video connection. TVs labeled as 120/240Hz etc take a 60Hz signal and interpolate the extra frames.

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like there are at least some 'true' 120 Hz TVs that accept and display a 120 Hz signal.

arpanet1981

Reputable
Jun 1, 2017
Amusing repartee, but, this HDMI upgrade is long overdue. For some reason, DisplayPort seems to have suffered from arrested development a couple of years ago, and is now being neglected in favor of HDMI, so, higher bandwidth on HDMI is very important. Gamers want faster updates (e.g. 120Hz), and, non-gamers want both more physical (e.g. 4K/5K) and color (10/12 bpc) resolution. Connections should exist that support all three at the same time, yet, high-end monitors like the Dell UP3017Q are limited to DP 1.2 or HDMI 1.4. I don't get it. The monitor display and the GPU output capabilities should be the limiting factors, not the connection between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.