hdmi adapter not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyHyena

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017
Hi I bought a new computer and realised i need an adapter for the moniter. I got one its a vga monitor for a hdmi computer however the monitor is not recieving any signal on neither the old or the new computer. Is there anything I need to do to activate or change settings on the monitor? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution

Yes, that long ago. The only resent component is the GPU.
You will be able to play the latest games but newer CPU will give you better performance (higher FPS) while using less power.
Also, there isn't an upgrade path for that computer since that was the top AMD CPU at the time.
An Intel Core i3-8100 3.6GHz with only 4 core will perform better than AMD FX-8300 Vishera 8-Core CPU.
I suggest you got with a computer with either 8th generation Intel i5 8400 or better or AMD...
If the monitor has more that one input (VGA, DVI) then you might need to switch input.
Are you connecting the HDMI adapter on the right place on the new computer? Check if there is more than one HDMI port.
Turn the monitor off then back on.
Was the monitor working on your old computer?
If the monitor is not working on the old or new computer it could be a dead monitor.

LadyHyena

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017

Hi thanks for taking the time. The monitor im using now works fine its a vga only but the new computer is hdmi/ dvi-d/ and Display port theres a helpful arrow sticker saying this is where to plug the monitor in so i'm sure i have the right one but I did try both just in case. I did try turning the monitor off and on but no success. I bought the adapter new and tried it on both the old and new computer with no success.

First you need to make sure your monitor is in working order, otherwise it will be hard to know if the computer is working.
You might need to check if the GPU (GeForce GTX 1050 Ti) is properly seated. A GPU may come loose while traveling.

Just curious, why did you get a system with a 6-year old CPU, old motherboard, last generation memory. when you could have purchased a better performing system, with the latest CPU, motherboard and memory for the same price?

LadyHyena

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017

Yes, that long ago. The only resent component is the GPU.
You will be able to play the latest games but newer CPU will give you better performance (higher FPS) while using less power.
Also, there isn't an upgrade path for that computer since that was the top AMD CPU at the time.
An Intel Core i3-8100 3.6GHz with only 4 core will perform better than AMD FX-8300 Vishera 8-Core CPU.
I suggest you got with a computer with either 8th generation Intel i5 8400 or better or AMD Ryzen 1600 or better.

Solution

LadyHyena

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017
If the monitor has more that one input (VGA, DVI) then you might need to switch input.
Are you connecting the HDMI adapter on the right place on the new computer? Check if there is more than one HDMI port.
Turn the monitor off then back on.
Was the monitor working on your old computer?
If the monitor is not working on the old or new computer it could be a dead monitor.

The monitor works without the adapter on the old computer but doesn't work on either computer with the adapter. There is only one hdmi port on the graphics card but I see another one with the motherbord ports should that have been the one I tried?

Status
Not open for further replies.