Question HDMI and USB ports switch on and off - but only at home ?!

Sep 29, 2021
Hello, everyone

I have a very strange problem with my HP ProBook 450 G5.

It started with my monitor at home suddenly going black for a few seconds and then working again. Sometimes this happened just once a day, sometimes every few minutes.
My monitor in the office worked perfectly with the same laptop, so I assumed the monitor was broken and bought a new one.
The new monitor worked fine for a few days, then suddenly the same problem occurred again.

Then there was a second problem - my keyboard and mouse, which are connected via Bluetooth USB receiver, developed the same problem as the monitor. Suddenly they stop working.
I then have to plug in the receiver again, then it usually works again. Sometimes it only works after a few tries, sometimes immediately. I replaced the batteries in the mouse and keyboard several times.

The strangest thing about the story is that the same laptop works perfectly fine in the office.
Neither the monitor nor the keyboard I'm using there have any issues at all.

I can imagine two causes:

a) Both the brand-new monitor and my keyboard and mouse at home are both broken. Very unlikely.
b) There is some device at home that is interfering with the connections, both HDMI and Bluetooth, with my laptop.

I can rule out an electrical problem - the keyboard and mouse are battery-operated, and the monitor does not actually turn off, it just loses the connection to the laptop (no signal).
The problems occur on both installed operating systems (Windows and Ubuntu via dual boot).

The only difference in the configuration of the laptop from the office to home is that I have an audio system connected at home via jack plug.

Do you have any ideas what could be going on here?