Question HDMI audio problem (Win10 - Receiver - TV - HDMI ARC...)

Nov 5, 2019
Hi guys,

I have a problem because of which I have been squeezing my brains (and looking everywhere for a while).

My home Movie Theater is a basic one (I believe).

Win10 mini PC --> HDMI --> Yamaha receiver --> HDMI ARC --> LG Flatscreen

Nothing fancy and it works perfectly with PLEX, VLC, Youtube... just anything including Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.

The problem is if I turn off my TV, the Win10 seems to go to sleep and stops sending the Adio/Video signal to the Receiver.

I don't seem to be able to solve this problem.

A bit of background (trying to answer all the questions I can think of beforehand).

My mediaplayer runs Win10 and has two HDMI outs. I already tried setting the register so that it does not sleep when the screen is turned off, with no results.

I have configured my receiver (Yamaha RX-V673) to use the amplifier for the audio signal and do not wait for the return signal from the TV (I hope this is working fine). I also turned off the HDMI control (So that when I turn off the TV, The receiver stays on).

There doesn't seem to be anything to do in the TV.

I think the problem relies on the Win10. The only possibility for Audio device is the LG TV, even though the Win10 is connected to the receiver, this does not appear as an audio device (I guess this is normal since the signal is being forwarded to the TV).

Well, I guess that even with HDMI control off, if I turn off the TV the Win10 will not have a recognised device to send the signal too.

My objective is to keep the Win10 mini PC on, playing music, when the screen is off.

I have run out of ideas.

Any help?

That Beelink looks interesting. I'm not thoroughly familar with that type of device but it seems as if it needs to be connected to a functional display to operate (a reasonable enough requirement).

I'm not sure what the motivation is for you to turn off the tv. If it's just that you don't want it to be displaying .... you could go to the win10 screen saver setting ... select blank .... then preview. That should result in the TV not displaying anything (until you wiggle the mouse, etc.) and your music still playing (but ... you have to leave the TV on).

If your motivation is something different ... I think you'd have to hook up a second display device (small hdmi monitor for instance).

Reactions: ruwa
Nov 5, 2019
That Beelink looks interesting. I'm not thoroughly familar with that type of device but it seems as if it needs to be connected to a functional display to operate (a reasonable enough requirement).

I'm not sure what the motivation is for you to turn off the tv. If it's just that you don't want it to be displaying .... you could go to the win10 screen saver setting ... select blank .... then preview. That should result in the TV not displaying anything (until you wiggle the mouse, etc.) and your music still playing (but ... you have to leave the TV on).

If your motivation is something different ... I think you'd have to hook up a second display device (small hdmi monitor for instance).

I bought a Mini PC as a media player to have full flexibility of what I do with my media, Chromecast and Android devices did not cut it. I have a NAS with content plugged to my network, which I mainly use for video, with PLEX, everything is working perfectly.

However I wanted to start using the mini PC for music as you have anticipated. The setup is not a problem, NAS, PLEX, remote control... everything is not a problem other than the fact that I do not seem to be able to output only Audio from the mini PC.

In an ideal world I should be able to keep the Beelink on (Or maybe remotely wake it up) and play music contents without having to turn the TV on.

Having a huge plasma on only to keep the mini PC sending an Audio stream to the receiver seem far from ideal 🙃

I agree with you that it is a normal feature to go to sleep when the display goes to sleep, but I would expect that a full OS would have options to prevent this.

On the other hand, I hope that the HDMI problem (FWD the audio stream and wait for it to get back in the return channel) is solved in the Yamaha, but I am uncertain whether it works or not.

Anyway, my main question remains, is there a config option to prevent windows 10 going to sleep when we turn off the display?

And thanks very much for all the ideas!