[SOLVED] HDMI Audio to Home theater but video over DVI?

devestator_x

Honorable
Apr 28, 2017
So... Ive got an MSI GTX 1060 with the 3 standard outputs, HDMI, DVI, and Displayport. Im currently running it on DVI to take advantage of the 144hz refresh on my Asus VG248QE monitor. I am going to be putting my old home theater setup in here when I upgrade the living room. Now I could just run a 3.5 splitter into RCA and just use it as a 2.1 setup, but I thought why not try for 5.1? So my question is, could I connect the receiver via HDMI to get the 5.1 audio signal while retaining the DVI for the 144hz refresh? Would the 1060 see it as a dual monitor and strain itself?

Solution
you know that is a good question. I believe you could because you could set the HDMI audio coming from GPU as default playback device and run the DVI to monitor and set that as default display adapter which should happen anyways when you plug it in. the display and playback devices both have a separate driver so in theory it should work but I have never tried that scenario. only one way to find out
you know that is a good question. I believe you could because you could set the HDMI audio coming from GPU as default playback device and run the DVI to monitor and set that as default display adapter which should happen anyways when you plug it in. the display and playback devices both have a separate driver so in theory it should work but I have never tried that scenario. only one way to find out

Solution