Question HDMI cable causing random black screens!

Jun 28, 2022
Hi, My Gaming pc had been crashing for the last month with Black screens and GPU fans speeding up and I finally fixed it by increasing the GPU memory clock some but now I have been getting random 2-3 second black screens while gaming. Also tested in 3D Mark and get half black screens during the loading scenes.

While troubleshooting the "Black screen and GPU fans speeding up" problem I swapped my Display port cables to HDMI. The crashes are gone but I'm still having random black screens for a few seconds. I went to check cable connection to monitor and realized that it was an HDMI cable which I had swapped during troubleshooting. I tried the other HDMI port and tested in 3D Mark again and still had the black screens.

Swapped back to the Display port cables and the black screens instantly went away.

Just wondering what the difference between the Display port and HDMI cables are. They came with the monitor and everything is updated. Do HDMI cables not support gaming?

Lutfij

Titan
There are instances where a cable might go bad, it's happened to some if you've dug through the threads on our forums. Often times it's even possible that a driver corruption is what caused it or a corruption in the OS or both. It's highly possible that the PSU might be the issue in this scenario. I would try and uninstall your GPU drivers(all remnants) using DDU, then manually reinstalling your GPU driver after sourcing them from GPU chip maker's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

As for your build, mind sharing the specs to it? Please include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

Jun 28, 2022
I figured it out. When I tried the other HDMI port I was referring to the GPU port. I didn't realize the monitor had 2 HDMI ports till I just looked.

There is a HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 port on monitor. I the put cable into HDMI 1 port and it works no problem.

Not sure what the difference between the 2 ports are. I've never used them till now. Maybe the HDMI port 2 was bad