HDMI cable from graphics card not working, but VGA is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rae10000

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hi there

I wonder if you can help

I'm just i the process of putting together my first home build computer and Im having a problem with the graphics card. When I plug the HDMI cable from the graphics card into the monitor I just get a blank black screen, but when I plug a VGA cable from the graphics card to the monitor is brings up the screen and allows me to enter the BIOS.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Faulty HDMI port? Is it because the driver for the graphics card is not installed? Is there a setting in the BIOS which needs changing?

Thanks for any help

It has nothing to do with the driver, because it happens on boot level. The driver kicks in when windows loads. Did you try to set the monitor to the hdmi input instead of the automatic input search? Does it say "no signal" then?

rae10000

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

Hi thanks for getting back to me but noidea_77 is right. Ive downloaded driver and same is happening.

rae10000

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

OK I've tried putting the monitor on HDMI and yes, it stays on a black screen and then after a while says 'no signal input check video cable'. The light on the monitor goes from orange to green (as if something is happening), but just stays black.

Just to let you know, Ive tried 2 different HDMI cables and 2 different monitors.

BreadWhistle

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Maybe try this, You'll need to connect your monitor through VGA to seen yoour screen though lol

> Right click screen
> Screen resolution
> "1920x1080" (If this is what your resolution is)
> Advanced settings
> Monitor = 59/60hz

Try that maybe. Now try plugging in with the HDMI cable. It also is possible that your monitor is 1080p, so try lowering the resolution a bit if you still don't get any signal.

rae10000

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

Hi there

Just to let you know I seem to have resolved the problem.

But I just wanted to say - well done! I wasn't a 100% sure why it had started to work, but I was messing around with the screen resolution and trying different wires (The DVI cable also worked), when it stared working.

So well done with so little information, you would have solved the problem for me had I not stumbled across it as one of the thousand things I was trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.