HDMI cable melted

GaryD333

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
When trying to connect a computer graphics card to an HDMI display, there was a major electrical short that melted the HDMI cable and the HDMI port on the TV. We have unplugged everything and assuming this is an electrical issue (just moved into a new house and the computer and monitor worked fine in the previous house).

Does anyone know more technically what could have happened so we can correct the issue without it happening again?

We have tested the graphics card on two different monitors and nothing displays, which is not surprising. I would guess the video card is shot, and possibly even the slot in the motherboard?

Solution
Bad ground on your electrical outlet most likely. An HDMI shouldn't have voltage coming out, the same as coax cable doesn't. But I had a coax cable once that was shocking me when I touched it and turns out I had a bad ground on my outlet. The ground on an outlet is a chassis ground, it is to make sure that voltage doesn't leak out into the metal frame, which is what everything grounds to, including your HDMI port.

Do you have a two plug outlet and are using a 3 to 2 plug adaptor? Or did you just rip the third prong off? A device will work if you do that, but it does increase the risk of a grounding issue.

You can go to a hardware store or Home Depot or Lowes and get an outlet tester. Put it in your socket and see if comes out...

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
Bad ground on your electrical outlet most likely. An HDMI shouldn't have voltage coming out, the same as coax cable doesn't. But I had a coax cable once that was shocking me when I touched it and turns out I had a bad ground on my outlet. The ground on an outlet is a chassis ground, it is to make sure that voltage doesn't leak out into the metal frame, which is what everything grounds to, including your HDMI port.

Do you have a two plug outlet and are using a 3 to 2 plug adaptor? Or did you just rip the third prong off? A device will work if you do that, but it does increase the risk of a grounding issue.

You can go to a hardware store or Home Depot or Lowes and get an outlet tester. Put it in your socket and see if comes out green or not.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Tools-Outlet-Tester-Green-MS112H/206029154

Solution