[SOLVED] HDMI can harm source?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2020
I recently built a PC. I put a decent amount of money into it, and would love to have it power a monitor, and two other projectors placed within my house. I want to be able to run two different 50 foot HDMI's through my attic, and plug them into the projectors.
(I guess I should mention that these would be interchangeably plugged in when I need them.)

I started researching other people's setups and came across information telling me that long HDMI cables can actually damage the source. Most guys online are running their cables through some sort of receiver, and they keep breaking. I've heard horror stories about very expensive receivers dying at around 2 months - 6 months. Before I invest any further I would really like to get some opinions on what I should do.

Should I run a normal HDMI? I have a PC and not a receiver, but I'm still a little worried about losing my entire build for a simple HDMI.

Should I get a powered HDMI? I've heard many negative things about these.

Should I get a wireless HDMI? I'm leaning towards no on this after reading more about these.

Should I get an Optic HDMI? These seem to be the best option but they're pricey. I would rather pay $100-200 vs losing my entire PC.

(For my personal situation I need around 50 feet of cable regardless of what the better option is.)

Solution
That info is wrong. I work for a company that install home theater systems. Long HDMI cables is exactly made for that purpose and will not damage your equipment. If you have 3 devices connect via HDMI and you have either a power surge or a faulty component that short back into the system then you have a change to damage other devices that is connected on the HDMI cables. If the device is off when the power surge occurs changes are very slim it will get damage.

Suggest that you get a 3 way HDMI splitter then you can feed your near screen and 2 other hdmi display devices. Take note that factory HDMI cables goes up to 20 meters.

Better option is to get a 3 way HDMI/CAT 5 or 6 splitter, (1 x HDMI and 2 x Cat 5 out) Your nearest screen...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Hmm, I have not heard of a cable being used within it's specified distance causing damage to anything.

Back in my installation days we dealt with intercom systems a lot. The wiring is run all over the house and it was very common for it to induce voltage from lightning strikes and such to the interconnected system. Perhaps something similar is what is causing issue in these cases?

50' is considered the maximum length usable on a cable alone.

Reactions: zadersmind

BigJohnx13

Commendable
Jun 22, 2019
That info is wrong. I work for a company that install home theater systems. Long HDMI cables is exactly made for that purpose and will not damage your equipment. If you have 3 devices connect via HDMI and you have either a power surge or a faulty component that short back into the system then you have a change to damage other devices that is connected on the HDMI cables. If the device is off when the power surge occurs changes are very slim it will get damage.

Suggest that you get a 3 way HDMI splitter then you can feed your near screen and 2 other hdmi display devices. Take note that factory HDMI cables goes up to 20 meters.

Better option is to get a 3 way HDMI/CAT 5 or 6 splitter, (1 x HDMI and 2 x Cat 5 out) Your nearest screen split with a HDMI cable and your 2 far points work then from the Cat 5 cable with a HDMI up converter on the far side. You can run the Cat 6 cable up 80 m and is better to run the thin Cat 5 cable that the thick HDMI cable to the far side.

The last option seems also to give less hassles in the long run.

Solution
May 12, 2020

Better option is to get a 3 way HDMI/CAT 5 or 6 splitter, (1 x HDMI and 2 x Cat 5 out) Your nearest screen split with a HDMI cable and your 2 far points work then from the Cat 5 cable with a HDMI up converter on the far side. You can run the Cat 6 cable up 80 m and is better to run the thin Cat 5 cable that the thick HDMI cable to the far side.

Didn't realize they made splitters like that, love that idea.

The terms "CAT 5" and "CAT 6" have been thrown around a bunch in the articles I've been researching. What are they? Why use them over HDMI?

BigJohnx13

Commendable
Jun 22, 2019
Sorry. It is normal Ethernet cables (computer networking) In the AV industry we call it Cat 5 and IT calls it Ethernet. It is the same cable, can run HDMI up to 80 m with Cat 5 instead of 20 m with HDMI cable. The CAT 5 Cable can be inserted in a conduit pipe in the wall where the HDMI with the connector end cannot go into a conduit pipe

Something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32860962540.html

May 12, 2020
Sorry. It is normal Ethernet cables (computer networking) In the AV industry we call it Cat 5 and IT calls it Ethernet. It is the same cable, can run HDMI up to 80 m with Cat 5 instead of 20 m with HDMI cable. The CAT 5 Cable can be inserted in a conduit pipe in the wall where the HDMI with the connector end cannot go into a conduit pipe

Something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32860962540.html

Lol, I feel dumb now. I know what Ethernet cables are I just am not familiar with the term. Sorry about that.

One final question. Why would I run the cable in a conduit pipe. Any interference/noise advantages? I was planning on just running the wire on the ground of the attic. Bad idea? Rats?

BigJohnx13

Commendable
Jun 22, 2019
When you mount your display panel TV on a wall or the projector in the ceiling in low ceiling and dont want to see any cabling conduit pipes are built into walls to hide cables. We have brick and mortar home construction in our country and not wood paneling houses

<< Link removed by moderator>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.