Hdmi card packard bell

waterpleb

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014
Hello. I purchased a monitor (Samsung S22d300 ) and It seems I have no hdmi port on my pc. Is it possible to get a hdmi card and to install it myself ? If so , how much would I be spending and do I a need a specific brand for my machine?

I have a PackardBell Imedia s1300
AMD processor 2.5ghz
3 GB ram 64 bit os

I appreciate any help.

Solution
I'm glad you got that sorted.

HDMI has a some advantages over a standard VGA cable, for one thing it can carry both video and audio signals simultaneously, which is handy if your displaying to a large-screen TV which has built-in quality speakers, so instead of having to hook up two cables to the monitor (audio & video) you only need to hook up one if it's HDMI.

Image quality is also better than VGA because the signal is digital (VGA is the inferior analog signal). However you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference for everyday Windows use. It's keen gamers who see the difference in image quality, for them HDMI or DVI is their first choice.

The other advantage is that an HDMI cable is much thinner than a VGA cable, but it does...
That monitor model should have a standard D-Sub VGA port as well as HDMI. Any reason you don't want to use the D-Sub connector, or may be your PC doesn't have one?

Anyway, to answer your question, to equip your PC with an HDMI monitor port, you would need to install a graphics card that's got an HDMI port. on it.

waterpleb

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014

Thanks for the reply
I am using a standard vga connector now. I assume if I get a HDMI connector installed the image quality will improve. If I get a graphics card with hdmi do I need extra ram or is 3 gb I have enough?

I'm glad you got that sorted.

HDMI has a some advantages over a standard VGA cable, for one thing it can carry both video and audio signals simultaneously, which is handy if your displaying to a large-screen TV which has built-in quality speakers, so instead of having to hook up two cables to the monitor (audio & video) you only need to hook up one if it's HDMI.

Image quality is also better than VGA because the signal is digital (VGA is the inferior analog signal). However you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference for everyday Windows use. It's keen gamers who see the difference in image quality, for them HDMI or DVI is their first choice.

The other advantage is that an HDMI cable is much thinner than a VGA cable, but it does have one downside - - unlike VGA it doesn't have those retaining screws to stop it falling out or getting pulled out.

I tried the DVI connection (which is also digital like HDMI) from my graphics card when I got a new monitor, honestly couldn't discern any difference in image quality compared to VGA, but then I'm not a gamer and I don't spend big bucks on a high quality screen either, would be waste of money for my needs.

You don't need more RAM to use an HDMI-equipped graphics card.

Solution

waterpleb

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014

cool beans. Thanks for the detailed answer.it cleared up some of my confusion about dvi , vga and hdmi.. I will eventually get a hdmi card when I save some cash.It's good to know I don't need extra ram.

Vga is doing fine for me now, Im not a gamer, but I watch movies on my pc so I will eventually shell out for hdmi card.