HDMI Connections

xsxbrownxsx

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but I have a question that I really need answered. I am buying a new 1080p monitor. The monitor has 1 HDMI port, but its pretty much all I can afford. The question, is there any way that I could connect both my PC and an Xbox 360 to the monitor, and switch between the two systems?

Whenever I try to look this up on google, or do research about this, I always find forums, threads, and posts about putting two displays on one system, but how about one display for two systems? Is this possible? If it is, any direction to good quality products would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,
-Jake

lightus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Does the monitor only have HDMI?

If it has both HDMI and DVI, you could hook up your PC to DVI and 360 to HDMI (assuming you have HDMI out for your 360).

Do you have a link to the monitor you are looking at?

xsxbrownxsx

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

I did a little bit of research on switchers, and it appears they aren't always reliable. Do you use this product?

PrvtChurch

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

You either need to get a monitor with more HDMI ports (unlikely to find one) or use a switch of some kind, OR run the PC via DVI and the Xbox Via HDMI.

lightus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
^That.

Is there a particular reason you want them both on HDMI?

HDMI and DVI will look the same. The only real difference is that HDMI carries sound as well as video.

xsxbrownxsx

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

I'm not too tech savvy, I just assumed that HDMI would look better than DVI, so I really have no idea. But I want both Battlefield 3 on my Xbox, and Skyrim on my PC, both in 1080p HD. So if I can do that with a DVI, that would be even better.

lightus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Sorry for such a long delay. Did you already decide on something?

You'll be able to run both your Xbox and your PC on that monitor using the HDMI and DVI inputs without a problem.

One important question, what are you doing for audio out on the Xbox?
The monitor doesn't have any built in speakers from what I can tell. Make sure you figure that out before purchasing if you haven't already.