[SOLVED] HDMI Disconnect Switch

Apr 18, 2020
Is an HDMI switch with one input, two outputs (one out connected to a device, the other out open) electrically identical to plugging an unplugging an HDMI cable?

Background:

I have a somewhat unique issue. I own a TCL Roku TV and an Sony Audio receiver. The features of both include Audio Return Channel (ARC) by which worked together for about 4 months before the ARC compatibility spontaneously quit working. Both are still within warranty and TCL sent a tech to swap out the TV motherboard with no effect.

The connection configuration is as follows:
  1. Sony DVD player connect by HDMI to Sony Receiver
  2. Dell computer connected by HDMI to Sony Receiver
  3. TCL Roku TV connected by HDMI cable from ARC connection on TV to ARC connection on Sony Reciever

For about 4 months, ARC was working well. I could power up the TV and the Receiver would automatically power up. I could get surround down through my receiver from either the TV (for Roku channels that supported it) or from the DVD player and even from the computer. The Roku remote volume would control adjust the receiver volume.

So, I have tried many different things with no improvement except for bypassing the receiver and connecting the TV directly to separate HDMI input to the TV. Doing that will allow the computer output to pass to the receiver via the ARC, with one condition... I have to have the computer HDMI cable disconnected while I power up the Roku (and receiver powers up automatically with proper ARC function). Once the TV and receiver are up, I can connect the computer and 6 times out of 10, I can get computer output back to the receiver. Sometimes the Roku TV volume will not adjust the receiver volume, sometimes it won't. Clearly there is still some confusion.

Seems to me that ARC functionality should be standardized, but I suspect that isn't entirely the case as the incompatibility suggests. I don't know where else to go with this issue. I welcome any helpful suggestions or clarifications, but at this point, I'm wondering if I can clean this up a little with an HDMI switch rather than having to manually plug and unplug an HDMI couping adapter I have in the front of my entertainment cabinet.

So here is my question:
If I have the computer HDMI connected to the TV's HDMI input port, but have the computer off, it still confuses the system and the ARC will not work. I have to have the cable completely disconnected at the hdmi coupling adapter for the workaround to be successful. If I use an HDMI disconnect switch, will that be electrically identical to an HDMI cable unplug? What do you think?

Solution
There are HDMI bi-directional switches.

First, sketch out the connections/connectivity that you now have; devices, cables (ARC or otherwise).

Second, "google" HDMI switches and include the word "reverse".

E.g.: "HDMI switch reverse"

There will be quite a number of websites and products so you will probably need to modify the search words in a manner that matches your sketch and requirements.

Whether any given product or device will actually work as advertised is becoming a bit of a gamble....

Details matter: switch vs splitter for example.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/hdmi-switch-vs-hdmi-splitter-everything-you-need-to-know/

Yes it is a pain to have to manually plug and unplug cables. However, there is a certain...

Ralston18

Titan
There are HDMI bi-directional switches.

First, sketch out the connections/connectivity that you now have; devices, cables (ARC or otherwise).

Second, "google" HDMI switches and include the word "reverse".

E.g.: "HDMI switch reverse"

There will be quite a number of websites and products so you will probably need to modify the search words in a manner that matches your sketch and requirements.

Whether any given product or device will actually work as advertised is becoming a bit of a gamble....

Details matter: switch vs splitter for example.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/hdmi-switch-vs-hdmi-splitter-everything-you-need-to-know/

Yes it is a pain to have to manually plug and unplug cables. However, there is a certain simplicity in that and, all-in-all, just less to go wrong. :)

Solution