Question HDMI Extender through spliced RJ45

Aug 19, 2020
Hello,

I am attempting to run internet and video across a single RJ45 drop. I have a security system and I would like to output the video to my TV, which is also where my internet router resides.

Is it possible to send a HDMI signal, using a HDMI over cat5 extender, through a spliced RJ45? I have been successful sending internet over the spliced cable. Both terminals (A and B) of the spliced cable are pinned to slots 1, 2, 3 and 6.

I have successfully tested both A & B with the ability to transmit internet across them. When it comes to getting the video signal across the HDMI extender’s transmitter and receiver, I am not successful via the spliced terminals. I can only get the video across using a non-spliced RJ45.

Is this because all 8 pins in the RJ45 are required when using the HDMI extender or should my splice be configured differently other than pins 1,2,3, and 6 for the video (HDMI extender) component?

Thanks for any support that you might be able to provide.

HDMI Extender: Expert Connect 4k @ 30Hz

Most the hdmi extender things are proprietary. I don't think there is a standard so it is hard to say exactly what the requirements are. I know some actually want 2 4 pair cat6 cables. It likely is using all 8 wires is why a split cable is not going to work.

When you use a split cable for ethernet you are limtied to 100mbps. That is nothing compared to the rates HDMI video runs since it is totally non compressed. When you consider high end HDMI is pushing 18gbits/sec there is no real ethernet cable that can handle that.

Aug 19, 2020
Most the hdmi extender things are proprietary. I don't think there is a standard so it is hard to say exactly what the requirements are. I know some actually want 2 4 pair cat6 cables. It likely is using all 8 wires is why a split cable is not going to work.

When you use a split cable for ethernet you are limtied to 100mbps. That is nothing compared to the rates HDMI video runs since it is totally non compressed. When you consider high end HDMI is pushing 18gbits/sec there is no real ethernet cable that can handle that.
Thank you! I appreciate the additional insights. The theory of splitting the run sounded great but there are clearly quite a few variables. I was curious what the rates were for HDMI...18gbits/sec. Yikes! I am checking with manufacturers of the extender to see if they can provide any additional insights. Thanks again bill001g.

Look at the discussion on what types of HDMI cables you need for certain resolution. Right now most hdmi ports can not run 4k video at 60hz at 10bit color depth. When the HDMI ports and cable are hitting limits running it over long wires is going to be tricky.