HDMI graphics card

zeta333

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Im going back home after a stint in the army and recentlly bought a 27.5inch moniter and i want to purchase a graphics card that has a hdmi port in it as well as dvi/vga and im wondering whats a good one. I dont care about having sound run through the hdmi as i have my own sound solution and i just want pure good video for surfing net and game. Iv seen some reveiws on several cards that arnt good when looking at text on hdmi. Money is not a option and i dont care between ATI and Nvidia. I will be purchasing windows 7 when its released and installing it but now im running windows xp on that pc. Please any suggestions will be awsome. Remeber Money is NOT a factor. thanks

zeta

if money is't an option get 2 gtx 285s or a evga gtx 295 co op if you looking for something cheaper get 2 at 4890s 0r a 4870x2 but since the new gen cards are are mere weeks away it would be best to hold on till the out an grab one by the nuts hard an fast

zeta333

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Yes im a gamer. Crysis and WoW and all the other games.

How much of a improvement will the next gen graphics cards be? I seem to remember everyone saying awhile ago the 9900 was coming out but it never did..... And what sort of price am i looking at for the next gen? Also im not running i7 yet iv got a 3.0 wolfdale.

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
if money is no object you should upgrade to an i7 with a minimum of two gtx275 or two 4890s with the current cards. Yes, the new cards are coming, but the improved performance will come with a bigger price premium, so cost/perfomance wise this generation will still get you more bang for your buck.

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Its hard for me to do "money no object" unless I know a budget for a starting point...but for a resolution of 19x12 I would suggest the following (you could spend more, but it would not get great improvement in performance)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131359
2x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131140
overclock the i7 to about 3.6 - 4.0, overclock the video cards using autotune in CCC, and you'll have about as good of real world performance as anything costing much more.

darkvine

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Well as far as HDMI almost every card today comes with adopters for DVI to HDMI as well as dvi to vga.

AS for the core i7 go for the 920 as it is the cheapest but can overclock amazingly well. As for a mobo if you are looking at mid to high end range there is

ASUS makes good motherboards and bad ones. Usually their high end is great and low is is questionable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131365
Some people claim they have some problems with it while others swear it is one of the best boards they have owned. I have done 2 builds with them for other people myself and say they are solid from the short time I worked with them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188046
Great board with a amazing warranty from EVGA. Also don't let the name fool you it does support Crossfire and sli like all x58's do.

If you want seriously high end then EVGA has the classified and ASUS has the Rampage Extreme II. Very pricey though.

zeta333

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
ok on the recomended gamer rig on that link that was posted the ram is out of stock but then i noticed its 1333 speed and the mobo supports 1600 anyreason i cant get a tri set of 1600?

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
lol...i'm not sure where you've heard that about Asus MBs, but they are consistently the most reliable boards on the market. I'm a system builder, and have used 100s...they had a bad production run when the p6t deluxe v2 came out, but that is the only issue I know of. Just take a look at the customer reviews, and keep in mind the majority of review sites, including toms, use the p6ts as their reference x58 MBs.