Question HDMI no signal when shook ?

May 25, 2022
Hello, so the issue I am having is that sometimes my display gets no signal on HDMI. I have some knowledge of computers but I can't seem to figure out the issue and wanted some advice to figure out what's going on.

So I've narrowed down when it happens to when it shakes for lack of a better term. When I walk into the room or just am walking around in the room it's in it will occasionally just HDMI no signal and requires me to hold the power button on the tower to turn it off and back on. I'm fairly certain it's from it shaking as well because I can get it to HDMI no signal by just moderately hitting on my computer chair armrest. It will also occasionally black screen but then turn back to normal after a few seconds, this seems to happen around the time that within a few days the HDMI no signal happens.

The only temporary solution I've found is pulling out the graphics card and putting it back in, and then it won't happen again for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. At one point near the beginning of this problem, it just wouldn't get any signal at all no matter how what I tried which was when I first tried to pull it out and put it back in the card and thought I had fixed it until it happen again a few weeks later. This also prevents it from doing HDMI no signal when I do things like slap my chair armrest, until the problem starts up again.
This makes me think the graphics card is loose, but I've made sure its properly in place, and it has 3 screws, so I don't know. I don't hear much of a clicking sound so am I just doing it wrong maybe?

Things that I have tried include:
  • checking drivers are up to date
  • uninstalling and reinstalling drivers
  • Trying different monitors and different HDMI cords
  • Updating BIOS

PC is less than a few months old, prebuilt.

Thank you for your time and your help.

only temporary solution I've found is pulling out the graphics card and putting it back in, and then it won't happen again for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.
this would lead me towards either a faulty GPU, faulty motherboard PCIe slot, or possibly a bad PCIe power connection to the GPU.

if you have actually narrowed to down to being caused by vibrations or being "shook" possibly you could add some vibration dampening feet to the desktop.
maybe some thin sponge material underneath or actual 3rd party soft rubber feet replacements.

this type of activity happening regularly could lead to permanent damage to the card or the motherboard if not already.

include your complete system specs.

May 25, 2022
this would lead me towards either a faulty GPU, faulty motherboard PCIe slot, or possibly a bad PCIe power connection to the GPU.

if you have actually narrowed to down to being caused by vibrations or being "shook" possibly you could add some vibration dampening feet to the desktop.
maybe some thin sponge material underneath or actual 3rd party soft rubber feet replacements.

this type of activity happening regularly could lead to permanent damage to the card or the motherboard if not already.

include your complete system specs.
System specs are
Windows 11
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K 3.20 GHz
32 GB of ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z690-P WIFI D4
1,000 Watt power supply

I did on you writing this reminded me I did check my watt usage as well and it wasn't near 1,000 watts
Should I try to place the GPU into a different PCIe slot as well as a different PCIe cable?

I do have a warranty for this computer as well, so do you think instead of trying to fiddle with the unknown while it could be getting damaged should I just send it back in?

I do have a warranty for this computer as well, so do you think instead of trying to fiddle with the unknown while it could be getting damaged should I just send it back in?
if it's a prebuilt from a local store/shop i would take it there first.

but if it's a prebuilt or custom build with parts purchased online, dealing with RMA and warranty services can take quite some time.
filing, shipping back, testing & verifying the issue, and waiting for a return can take weeks or longer.

any simple troubleshooting you can do at home that won't void any warranty should be attempted first.

where was the system purchased and how;
as a compete prebuilt system?

May 25, 2022
if it's a prebuilt from a local store/shop i would take it there first.

but if it's a prebuilt or custom build with parts purchased online, dealing with RMA and warranty services can take quite some time.
filing, shipping back, testing & verifying the issue, and waiting for a return can take weeks or longer.

any simple troubleshooting you can do at home that won't void any warranty should be attempted first.

where was the system purchased and how;
as a compete prebuilt system?
Purchased online from cyberpowerPC. One of their instant ships.
As far as I read on the warranty I can fiddle with the insides without voiding warranty as long as I don't break anything.
I figured I would try here first as yeah like you said I've heard some problems with their online support, and am worried I will be without my computer for a long period of time.

Purchased online from cyberpowerPC
that sucks.

they're known for using low quality components wherever possible(drives, RAM, PSU, cooling, etc),
for having terrible quality control(like letting something simple as this get through),
and for having some of the worst customer service.
read on the warranty I can fiddle with the insides without voiding warranty
then go ahead and try different PCIe power cables or even just re-seating them,
if this board has another 4.0 x16 slot try that,
you may also want to try getting a GPU stand that will hold the card steady in place:
3815724-rog_gpu_support.jpg

May 25, 2022
that sucks.

they're known for using low quality components wherever possible(drives, RAM, PSU, cooling, etc),
for having terrible quality control(like letting something simple as this get through),
and for having some of the worst customer service.

then go ahead and try different PCIe power cables or even just re-seating them,
if this board has another 4.0 x16 slot try that,
you may also want to try getting a GPU stand that will hold the card steady in place:
3815724-rog_gpu_support.jpg
Ok, thank you for all the help. I have tried what you said and if that fails I will send it back and let them try to deal with it.
Though it will be a while before I know if it works or not due to the nature of the problem only appearing once every while, and me recently repositioning it.

Do you know if I should post the results to this even if a few weeks pass or is it bad practice to bring reply to a thread that could end up being a few weeks old?

DSzymborski

Titan
Ok, thank you for all the help. I have tried what you said and if that fails I will send it back and let them try to deal with it.
Though it will be a while before I know if it works or not due to the nature of the problem only appearing once every while, and me recently repositioning it.

Do you know if I should post the results to this even if a few weeks pass or is it bad practice to bring reply to a thread that could end up being a few weeks old?

Reply to this thread. It'll bump to the top. It becomes a mess when people start a bunch of threads for the same problem.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

TRENDING THREADS