HDMI no signal

bobnob1020

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
Hello.I have an AlienWare x51 running a Windows 7 32bit and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 graphics card . I recently unplugged everything from my computer, including my two screens. One being a Dell s2340m and an older one, of which the name I am not sure. When I put it all back together only one screen worked (that being the older one). I have two ports on the back of my s2340m VGA and DVID. On the older screen there is only one port DSUB I also have two cords one a DVID HDMI(I think) and the outer, HDMI to VGA (again,I think). The message on the screen (newer one) says its pluged in but that the HDMI is giving of no signal. Everything worked fine and dandy before this so I'm not sure of the problem. Any and all help is better than what I have to give.Thank you for your time and help.

Ensure there's no dust, debris or obstructions on the port concerned. Ensure the same thing on the other end of the cable on the monitor concerned. Inspect the cable to make sure it isn't crushed or twisted anywhere along its length. You could try a different cable with that monitor if you can source one.

You have to remember that one connection if the 15 pin D-sub connection is Analog.
Even if you connect a DVI-D it must be the correct one to the correct cable.

You cannot put a DVI-D in line with a 15 pin D sub.
Because the wiring and pin out is diffirent.

Also remember that if you are Using or have two Dvi ports on the card.
One is wired for digital, and the other is wired for analog.

So again check the Dvi adapter is analog, make sure it goes to the Analog Dvi output of the card.

Dvi-D to the second Dvi port to the Hdmi input ok.

So what you have likely done is used the wrong Dvi on the monitor cable.

Look at the ends of the adapter.
A Dvi-D has small pins and one flat one. Digital wired.
An analog Vga to DVI has small pins a flat pin with four smaller pins around it.
Analog wired.
Swap the Adapters over

Cross over produces no signal.

bobnob1020

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014

I don't believe this is the problem(tied it none the less).Like i said this worked not an hour before I unplugged every thing. Thank you Shaun o for the help