HDMI NOT SHOWING UP UNDER PLAYBACk DEVICES MEANING NO SOUND FROM TV WHEN CONNECTED TO LAPTOP PLEASE HELP

CTIP6004

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
using windows 10. All Windows updates are installed and the graphics drivers are up to date, along with the audio drivers (and motherboard drivers). The control panel tells me that HDMI sound is in fact going to my Sony TV, however it still comes out of my speakers. The only two things that list under the sound control panel are "Speakers" and "Realtek Digital Output", neither of which worked as HDMI would as I thought, but it's always better to cover all your bases. On top of all this, I do get a video signal on my TV, just no audio. And under device manager, only my webcam's mic and Realtek Audio is listed, I have refreshed the list and looked for anything that was unknown, and nothing.

I did do a little snooping around on other forum posts hoping that I could find it, so I DID try these common fixes already:

Uninstalling all the drivers and reinstalling them
Restarting the computer
Physically reinstalling the graphics card
Unplugging and replugging in the HDMI cable, and testing the HDMI cable
Made sure that I am looking at the complete list of audio devices - disable devices and disconnected devices and all
I double checked that my graphics card has the SPDIF_O plugged in the right spot

I have absolutely no idea why the HDMI out option is not showing up. Anyone have any other ideas? Will post more information if needed.

Solution

Believer4

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017

I had the exact same issue with Windows 10 HDMI connection to Sony TV. I performed some basic troubleshooting to no avail. You should not have to physically install the graphics card; this is a driver issue. I got it solved by performing the following steps:

Right click start button and choose Device Manager
Expand Display Adapters
Right Click NVIDIA GeForce or whichever adapter is listed other than Intel and choose Update Driver
Click Browse My Computer
Click Let Me Choose From List
Choose NVIDIA GeForce from List
Press Enter
After the driver Update my problem was solved and it works great! Sony TV is now available in Playback Devices and you may need to set it as a default.

Believer4

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017

I had the exact same problem. This is a driver issue so nothing very complicated to do to get it to work. It is annoying though. I got it to go performing the following steps:

Right click start button and choose Device Manager
Expand Display Adapters
Right Click NVIDIA GeForce or whichever adapter is listed other than Intel and choose Update Driver
Click Browse My Computer
Click Let Me Choose From List
Choose NVIDIA GeForce from List
Press Enter
After the driver Update my problem was solved and it works great! Your Sony TV should now show up in Playback Devices under sound and you may need to set it as Default.

Solution
Go into your sound control panel, click on the playback tab, look up at the list.
If you see your tv as the main sound source, you will left click it, then right click it hit disable.
For your sound choose realtek audio or whichever sound card you have, select it as default hit the apply button below and click ok.
Play a mp3 file or visit youtube.com to play a video, it should fix that up to play through your computer speakers after you do this.

souly76

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

Thank you solved the problem for me :) (AMD Radeon Driver).
No idea why the normal Radeon installation did not solve this issue.

Update: did not work. after the reboot hdmi sound was unavailable again.

My solution:
1. uninstalled all AMD Radeon drivers
2. used DDU to clean up all AMD driver entries
3. did a complete install of the latest AMD drivers

Now all works as expected

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
It probably won't show up as "HDMI" in your playback list. It should show up as something like "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" I have a GTX 1060 and it shows up as my monitor model numbers (E248W-1920) and under that is says NVIDIA High Definition Audio. Look for something like that.