HDMI not working properly, "check cable connection" error

VH6

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
I've just purchased a new monitor (Philips 227E) and an HDMI to HDMI cable with it, I was told that it's "not too healthy for the monitor" to use both VGA and HDMI together on the same monitor so I decided to use only HDMI instead. However with only HDMI plugged in, I get "check cable connection" error in and after the post screen and it doesn't go away after the windows boots up until I turn the monitor off and back on again.

I have to do this everytime I reboot and it's starting to get quite frustrating to be honest, anyone have any idea how to fix this? I'd appreciate any help.

Solution
It may be the video card, but you'd have to try it with another monitor to test. Something in either the monitor or the video card (chances of it being the cable are very slim, but you can get a new one for only a few dollars so if you like you can swap out the cable), is not sending the "I'm on" signal to the other.

Unless you are using HDMI for audio as well, you can probably just use VGA connection, check the display differences, you probably won't be able to see any differences.
Do you have an adapter to use HDMI or does your video card have an HDMI output?
Nothing on the screen till you turn off and back on the monitor? Is the check cable connection message telling you what input it's using? Try manually swapping inputs when you turn the PC on, maybe the monitor can't properly select the active input and is looking for a VGA connection.

VH6

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

I'm using a GTX550Ti and it does have an HDMI output, and yes nothing on the monitor aside from the floating error message until then.

When you say swapping inputs, do you mean like I should switch to the VGA cable and then back to HDMI while the monitor is on, or more swap between like from the monitor's settings? If you mean the latter, I've tried that and nothing really changed, although it switches to HDMI on its own after turning the monitor off and on after the Windows startup screen but doesn't seem to stay that way after rebooting.

VH6

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

Both VGA and HDMI are working. The problem is that when I'm using HDMI, the monitor doesn't work properly only after a reboot with a floating "check cable connection" message until I turn it off and back on. This only happens after a reboot and after the sleep mode and only with HDMI. Are you certain this is happening because the monitor is faulty?

PS: I had to buy the HDMI cable separately, as they didn't include one in the monitor's box.

It may be the video card, but you'd have to try it with another monitor to test. Something in either the monitor or the video card (chances of it being the cable are very slim, but you can get a new one for only a few dollars so if you like you can swap out the cable), is not sending the "I'm on" signal to the other.

Unless you are using HDMI for audio as well, you can probably just use VGA connection, check the display differences, you probably won't be able to see any differences.

Solution

VH6

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

Cheers, might as well just wait a bit and upgrade my video card then and replace the monitor if that's not it.

I'm not using HDMI for audio but noticed that VGA was slightly darker and blurry than the HDMI, not sure if that's just me though.

That is pretty much how VGA looks like after you are used to seeing a digital signal like HDMI. Some people actually like the small fuzzy look in text and icons that VGA shows, it's less sharp and looks rounder.