K1LLstone

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017
Hello guys, I have a quick question about the display I can't and will appreciate your help.

I just bought a monitor Asus VG278QR and I have Hp Victus 16 Laptop. I have a HDMI 2.1(I know monitor only has 1.4) and USB-C to Displayport Cable, with displayport I get 165 HZ but the monitor is connected to integrated AMD Graphics
With HDMi my monitor connects to RTX GPU and I have nvidia Control Panel settings. I was wondering what's the pros and cons of having it on displayport and integrated graphics, it still runs games on RTX GPU, but the monitor itself isn't.
Should I have it on HDMI or should I switch to DisplayPort.

Thanks in Advance

Lutfij

Titan
Can you please parse the SKU to your laptop? This listing states that you should have an Nvidia discrete GPU and an Intel(not an AMD) iGPU. I'd stick to DP to get the high refresh rate if you can rule out the software/driver being wonky on the laptop. Might want to see if you've got any BIOS updates pending on your laptop. What OS are you on? If Windows 10, please mention the version(not edition) of the OS.

K1LLstone

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017
Can you please parse the SKU to your laptop? This listing states that you should have an Nvidia discrete GPU and an Intel(not an AMD) iGPU. I'd stick to DP to get the high refresh rate if you can rule out the software/driver being wonky on the laptop. Might want to see if you've got any BIOS updates pending on your laptop. What OS are you on? If Windows 10, please mention the version(not edition) of the OS.
Thanks for the reply, My SKU is 4V7Z4UA#ABA this laptop has AMD for sure as a processor and iGPU. Can you pleas tell me how to check BIOS Updates?
I am using Windows 11
So if I use USB-C to displayport monitor is connected to my iGPU, I reinstalled the graphics drivers and updated windows.
Will monitor being to iGPU cause lag or some kind of problems?

If the discrete GPU is driving the monitor, then it should enable certain features that are available, such as:
  • G-Sync
  • V-Sync options, such as Fast Sync
  • Render ahead buffering/Low latency mode
  • Image scaling/DSR
Also there is still some amount of lag when using the iGPU due to the frame buffer the discrete GPU rendered still has to transfer to the iGPU's memory. Though is typically imperceptible.

K1LLstone

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017
Well G-Sync doesn't work on displayport or HDMI, so in your opinion
If the discrete GPU is driving the monitor, then it should enable certain features that are available, such as:
  • G-Sync
  • V-Sync options, such as Fast Sync
  • Render ahead buffering/Low latency mode
  • Image scaling/DSR
Also there is still some amount of lag when using the iGPU due to the frame buffer the discrete GPU rendered still has to transfer to the iGPU's memory. Though is typically imperceptible.

are those other reasons you mentioned better than monitor running in 165hz instead of 120hz?

Well G-Sync doesn't work on displayport or HDMI, so in your opinion

are those other reasons you mentioned better than monitor running in 165hz instead of 120hz?
They're options that could be helpful and those aren't the only ones that would be enabled. I also don't find anything beyond 120Hz useful anyway. I have my monitor set to 240Hz and I really can't tell a difference in a random scenario unless I had to really think about it.

K1LLstone

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017
They're options that could be helpful and those aren't the only ones that would be enabled. I also don't find anything beyond 120Hz useful anyway. I have my monitor set to 240Hz and I really can't tell a difference in a random scenario unless I had to really think about it.
I agree that beyond 120hz is not noticeable much, I guess I will leave it to HDMI then, I kinda noticed the change from 165hz to 120hz tho but got used to it in 1 match

TRENDING THREADS