gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
So my current setup consists of 2 24,5” iiyama blackhawks connected to my computer. But I’m getting an ASUS Zenbook Duo for my upcoming mechatronics study. I have two desks: one for my gaming pc, and another slightly bigger one for work, school, soldering and so on. To complete my study setup, I want to get an iiyama prolite xub3493wqsu-b1. This is a 34” ultrawide monitor which I’ll be mounting using a single monitor arm. However, I read a review that stated that you’ll have to use DisplayPort to use the monitor’s full aspect ratio, stating that the writer of said review couldn’t use the complete resolution. But sadly, the Zenbook Duo does NOT have a DP-port. What the Zenbook Duo does have is an USB-C port, and I have been told that you can use USB-C for videotransfer. So, the main question: Can I use an USB-C to DP cable to use the screen’s full resolution or should this be possible via HDMI?

Solution
The review is wrong. Its hdmi 2.0 supports even higher res than the monitor supports.

Also the usb-c port on the zenbook duo is usb only. There are other usb-c ports on other devices that support alternative modes or thunderbolt 3 which uses the same port. These do support dp, hdmi, pcie over the port but the zenbook is like any other old usb port. But any usb port can be used with a usb to dp adapter as long as you understand this is not a video port, it's not using your gpu and adapters can have lower res limits and other issues.
The review is wrong. Its hdmi 2.0 supports even higher res than the monitor supports.

Also the usb-c port on the zenbook duo is usb only. There are other usb-c ports on other devices that support alternative modes or thunderbolt 3 which uses the same port. These do support dp, hdmi, pcie over the port but the zenbook is like any other old usb port. But any usb port can be used with a usb to dp adapter as long as you understand this is not a video port, it's not using your gpu and adapters can have lower res limits and other issues.

Solution

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018

Perfect. This will save me around €39,- for a DP-cable. Have some spare HDMI’s laying around in my room.