HDMI Output from video card

jeffpage

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Folks,

We have just built an exercise room where we will have two Sony Bravia TVs supported from the ceiling in the middle of the room. We are using a 4x2 HDMI Matrix Switch to get input from several devices, including an as-yet-to-be-configured HTPC. We ran a 1" inside diameter plastic conduit from the media cabinet to the ceiling drops to accomodate the two HDMI cables to run from the Matrix Switch to the TVs. The HDMI cable will be just shy of 10 meters from the Matrix Switch to the TVs.

In my excitement to get things configured, I didn't think about sending audio from the HTPC to the Matrix Switch...I sort of assumed that I would be sending that via an HDMI output cable, since that's how video and audio are coming fromt he other devices (BluRay, DishNetwork VIP 622, Wii).

I am looking for recommendations on how to get 720p minimum (that's what the exsting TVs support) video and audio from the HTPC to the Matrix Switch. The HTPC and Switch will be in the same cabinet, so cable length will be in the 3' to 6' range, depending on placement. I would prefer to not have to go through a video converter, if possible, but am open to known working solutions.

Any comments or direction would be greatly appreciated. I have searched on the ATI site, but frankly there are so many options I'm not sure what to narrow my search to. We are looking for a solution that will play internet video, BluRay, and DVDs from the HTPC. Since this is an exercise room, the 720p quality of the TVs was deemed sufficient (for now).

Thanks!

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
All of ATI's recent cards will work fine for what you want. They all have sound on the card and will decode BluRay. I have used HD2400, 3870 and a 4670 for HTPC use even tho I don't have any setup with a BluRay drive.