Question HDMI + PC Problem - Auto Switching incorrectly?

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

I have a DP cable from GPU to PC Monitor, and HDMI from GPU to Smart TV - Sony Bravia so I can stream Videos, Browsing etc to the TV.
However, something has gone wrong and I don't know how to fix it....

BTW Win 11, brand new 12th gen system, all the latest drivers/Win updates etc. Latest Nvidia 512.15 (tried latest Gigabyte driver too - no change - but Nvidia's is way newer).

In the Display Settings of Windows; My PC Monitor is set as Display 1, and Display is set to Display 1 ONLY.
IT IS NOT SET TO DUPLICATE!

Yet, despite this... if I turn my PC Monitor off... it sends the video out to the HDMI into the TV.
While it does not automatically take over whatever was on the TV already - If I switch to the HDMI Channel on the TV, sure enough it's outputting my the Video from the PC on the HDMI Channel on the TV etc.

I don't want this, and it's using up lots of resources doing this which could interfere with large file transfers and long downloads and things which I want to do on the PC while the screen is off but it is still turned on.

The other bigger problem to do with this is that it has also screwed up the HDMI streaming video to the TV so that it jagged enough (slight pauses here and there) and doesn't look like the right full quality resolution that it's unusuable. It was not the case until recently and I don't know why?

I've just gotten off the live chat and then the phone with Microsoft, they have no idea? Talked to Gigabyte too who make my GPU and Motherboard?
No one has any clue why it's doing this or how to fix it?

Here's a screenshot - but I really can't see anything pertinent here?

FYI - I have Win 11, but I have placed this here as most problems are pretty identical in both versions and I'll probably get more help from here as a Win 10 is far more common.

I can't see what the problem is... any ideas?

Thank you for your help

Last edited:

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Have you tried pressing the Windows logo key + P on your PC to choose a presentation display mode?
After pressing the keys combination you could duplicate, extend or just select your primary monitor.

Yeah I said that above

In the Display Settings of Windows; My PC Monitor is set as Display 1, and Display is set to Display 1 ONLY.

But I didn't know that shortcut - so cheers for that

Jan 4, 2022
Let's try to understand a little more about the setup.

So you have 2 HDMI outputs from your GPU. 1 to your PC monitor, the other to your Smart TV?

In your settings you have it "Only Display on 1" , which is your PC monitor. Then when you power off your PC monitor it displays to your Smart TV?

On my setup with 2 PC monitors, I set it to "Only Display on 1". When I turn off my Display 1 it does not go to Display 2.

Perhaps some screenshots of your Display settings would be helpful.

Edit: Also please provide us with your complete system specs.

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Let's try to understand a little more about the setup.

So you have 2 HDMI outputs from your GPU. 1 to your PC monitor, the other to your Smart TV?

In your settings you have it "Only Display on 1" , which is your PC monitor. Then when you power off your PC monitor it displays to your Smart TV?

On my setup with 2 PC monitors, I set it to "Only Display on 1". When I turn off my Display 1 it does not go to Display 2.

Perhaps some screenshots of your Display settings would be helpful.

Edit: Also please provide us with your complete system specs.

Mostly correct... I have a DP cable from GPU to PC Monitor, and HDMI from GPU to Smart TV.

Yeah I don't know if it has always been doing this or if I just hadn't ever happened to want to switch to the right HDMI channel on the TV at the same time that it actually happens to have switched the Video Output from the PC to the HDMI on the TV (when the PC is on but Monitor is off?)

I've only had Win 11 for a couple months and I haven't really used HDMI with my TV that much until now.

If I'm already using the TV - it's not like it takes over and changes from whatever I'm watching - to auto-switch over to the HDMI channel... it doesn't do that.

But if you switch to the HDMI channel - it is already playing whatever is on the PC.
Which means it's probably doing that the whole time whether you are watching it or not.

That is what I don't want as it could cause issues on my PC when I'm running other tasks.

System specs are in my sig - all up to date.

Here's a screenshot - but I really can't see anything pertinent here?

Cheers

Last edited: